Article Preview

Title: Picture Perfect
Location: Sam Poh Buddhist Temple, Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Date: 22 May 2009, 6:46pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/6.3, ISO Equiv.: 100

The golden light of the setting Sun was all over the temple. I was lucky enough to capture this image.

Title: The Temple's Guardian
Location: Sam Poh Buddhist Temple, Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Date: 22 May 2009, 6:47pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 110

One of the two lions guarding the temple. The statue was painted in gold colour. I was leaving the temple when I saw the setting Sun. The golden light from the Sun illuminates the entire temple. The statue look like a huge chunk of gold!

Title: Entrance to the Temple
Location: Sam Poh Buddhist Temple, Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Date: 22 May 2009, 6:47pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 100

This picture was taken at the entrance of the temple. I LOVE the composition and angle of this picture.

Title: The Temple's Pagoda
Location: Sam Poh Buddhist Temple, Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Date: 22 May 2009, 6:49pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 110

A small pagoda in the temple.

Title: Getting Dark.
Location: Sam Poh Buddhist Temple, Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Date: 22 May 2009, 6:48pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/7.1, ISO Equiv.: 100

Captured this picture in time before the Sun set.

Title: The Temple's Mini Guardian
Location: Sam Poh Buddhist Temple, Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Date: 22 May 2009, 6:46pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/6.3, ISO Equiv.: 100

This statue look like a medieval gargoyle.

Title: The GODS
Location: Sam Poh Buddhist Temple, Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Date: 22 May 2009, 6:25pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/4.0, ISO Equiv.: 800

I'm not sure if those idols are Lord Buddha or the compassionate Kuan Yin. I have not pray for ages. Already a humanist and believer in science.

Title: The Guitarist?
Location: Sam Poh Buddhist Temple, Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Date: 22 May 2009, 6:17pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/3.5, ISO Equiv.: 640

Nope...its one of the four Heavenly Kings idols in the temple. These statues are HUGE. Very similar to the 4 Heavenly Kings in Kek Lok Si Temple, Penang. The Heavenly Kings consist of Kwang Mu (Guardian of the West), Tou Wen (Guardian of the North), Ch'i Kuo (Guardian of the East) and lastly Tseg Chang (Guardian of the South).

Title: A Mesmerizing Stare
Location: Sam Poh Buddhist Temple, Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Date: 22 May 2009, 6:14pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/4.2, ISO Equiv.: 900

A statue with artistic design.

Title: The HEAVENLY KINGS
Location: Sam Poh Buddhist Temple, Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Date: 22 May 2009, 6:18pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/3.5, ISO Equiv.: 450

One is holding a pipa (a four-stringed Chinese instrument) and the other a sword.

Title: Over Here. Feed ME!
Location: Sam Poh Buddhist Temple, Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Date: 22 May 2009, 6:36pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 800

These koi fishes are CUTE, TAME and FRIENDLY. They even sucked my fingers like a baby.

Title: Move over, BIG MOMMA is here
Location: Sam Poh Buddhist Temple, Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Date: 22 May 2009, 6:34pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.0, ISO Equiv.: 800

The koi are HUMONGOUS! The length of these large-sized koi are around 50 cm - 70 cm long.

Title: Feeding Frenzy
Location: Sam Poh Buddhist Temple, Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Date: 22 May 2009, 6:39pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.3, ISO Equiv.: 800

I guess these koi fishes were too excited seeing my fingers lingering above the pond.

Title: The Temple's Roof
Location: Sam Poh Buddhist Temple, Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Date: 22 May 2009, 6:49pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 200

Interesting lotus print on the roof.


I returned to my budget hotel and took a short rest. Later in the afternoon, I decided to pay a visit to Sam Poh Buddhist Temple in Brinchang. I expected the temple to be an ordinary temple. But, I was wrong! It was a BEAUTIFUL medium-sized Buddhist temple. Once you step into the temple, you’ll experience authentic Buddhist’s architecture. I saw four humongous God idols guarding the entrance of the temple. It’s very similar to the four God idols in Kek Lok Si Temple. I’m a humanist. But, I feel PEACEFUL, QUIET and SERENE in the temple. I’m the only visitor that time (around 6.30pm). I walked into the grand temple and saw a KuanYin porcelain statue beneath a huge golden Buddha statue. The inner temple is so special. The four walls were decorated with thousands of Buddha’s motifs.

After that, I ventured to the outer part of the temple and saw a pond filled with extra large koi. The koi pond is a MUST-SEE attraction in the temple!!! The fishes are HUMONGOUS. It’s pretty tame and will swim to you when you move your fingers. The fishes’ mouth were opening WIDE trying to suck my fingers.

I was on my way leaving the temple (to visit the night market in Brinchang), when the Sun started to set. It was the most beautiful moment in my life. In less than five minutes, the whole temple was illuminated with the ‘golden light’ from the setting Sun. The temple was automatically transformed into a GOLDEN TEMPLE! I’m not exaggerating. Look at my pictures. The lion statues guarding the temple turned into a big chunk of gold. I hurriedly snapped lots of pictures before I missed the moment.

My last post is coming soon; wrapping up my amazing journey to Cameron Highlands. Remember to follow for more reviews and pictures.

Day 3 Expenses (My Budget Travel):

a) Breakfast at Restoran Sri Brinchang (ordered Maggi Goreng again) = RM4.00
b) Handpicked Strawberries at Highlands Bee Farm (around 20 fruits) = RM12.00
c) Mixed Veggies from a Bangladeshi stall (9 packets) = RM10
d) Petrol = RM20
e) North-South Expressway toll = RM17.90
c) Bought these from a generous Chinese lady who’s also a farmer:
- Corns (3 large pieces that can be eaten raw) = RM3.00
- One big packet of baby tomatoes (over 40 fruits) = RM1.00

Total Expenses on Day 3 = RM67.90
(+) Total Expenses on Day 1 & Day 2 = RM156.10
Overall 3 days expenses = RM224.00

Cameron Highlands – Getting There:

Please click this link for more info:

More info?

Read these articles before you travel:


Cameron Highlands – Map

Download FULL PDF MAP listing all places of interests including these townships: Ringlet, Habu, Tanah Rata and Brinchang. [PDF File, 902kb]



Destination [5] Aboriginal Resettlement and [6] Sam Poh Buddhist Temple

9 comments

  1. Awesome photo essay
    Keep up the excellent work!

     
  2. fufu Says:
  3. i like all the kids pictures...
    i didnt know that there's a nice temple up there =p you real make me wanna go there now!! arghhhhhh >.< you gonna rerediscover cameron again!!! hahaha

     
  4. shloke Says:
  5. @ Harry Snowden,

    Thank you for dropping by and visiting my blog! I did a random search on the web and found a photo blog and a photo gallery with your username. These are the link:

    http://www.visionlightgallery.com/gallery/Harry_Snowden_Gallery_C386.cfm

    http://wayoutwest.tumblr.com/

    Are these yours?? Picturesque & artistic photos!

    @fufu,

    Thank you fufu. It's funny looking back at those kiddo photos. I did not expect those warm reception from them :) I LOVE kids also.

    The Sam Poh is a medium-sized Buddhist temple is Brinchang. A nice temple.

    fufu, I don't think I'm returning to CH any time soon. Maybe next year. Sigh, I feel bad for leaving fufu out :(

    Cheers ppl!
    mylo

     
  6. fufu Says:
  7. yeah so next time i will be your model!! hohohoho just kidding! @_< next year? erm...okok see if i can join you at that time or not ;)

     
  8. shloke Says:
  9. @fufu,

    Ha? No need lah. My pictures are no pro at all. I'm still learning the ropes of photography. Talking about model, you have great potential. Great personal image and profile :)

    By the way, good luck to your trips and future planning!

    Best Wishes,
    mylo

     
  10. Shelyn Says:
  11. Your blog has become more complete and professional now ^_^

     
  12. shloke Says:
  13. @Shelyn,

    Gee...thanks.

    Cheers!
    mylo

     
  14. Another great blog! I kinda miss Camerons coming to think of it. Maybe i will make a trip there again. Lovely pics!

    ~ jrhogan

     
  15. shloke Says:
  16. Hi David!

    Thank you again! I really LOVE visiting Cameron. It's so PEACEFUL ,QUIET & RELAX :)

    You should travel to CH again...but avoid public and school holidays. The place will be jam!

    Cheers!
    mylo

     
Related Posts with Thumbnails












My Photo
shloke
Traveling & photography are the most rewarding & enriching experiences in my life. Photography is all about discovery, enjoying myself, having adventure, learning people & nature. The greatest experience for me is the connection I felt with NATURE. If you haven’t seen Malaysia, you haven’t seen the world! My photography works are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported.
View my complete profile


mylo's twitter

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter