Article Preview

Title: A BIG strawberry garden with only ONE Bangladeshi worker
Location: Highlands Bee Farm, Habu, Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Date: 21 May 2009, 3:26pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/7.1, ISO Equiv.: 100

This bangladeshi worker was trying hard to harvest the hundreds of maturing strawberries. The matured fruits either dropped to the pot or ground surface. I believe these fallen berries will be collected later and processed as preserved honey berries. Well, there is a saying "Nothing left to waste".

Title: One Big Happy Family :)
Location: Highlands Bee Farm, Habu, Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Date: 21 May 2009, 3:28pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/9.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

Momma and three juniors hanging at the side of the pot. Picking strawberries is not easy. Initially, I was bruttally yanking these red fruits from the plant leaving ugly scar on the stem. Later, I used my thumb and index finger grabbing the fruit gently and pull it off nicely. Practise make perfect.

Title: Growing up.
Location: Highlands Bee Farm, Habu, Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Date: 21 May 2009, 3:39pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 160

Believe it or not, junior strawberries (light green colour) are flat like pancake!

Title: "PICK ME! PICK ME!"
Location: Highlands Bee Farm, Habu, Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Date: 21 May 2009, 3:32pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 180

I return to this bee farm on the third day to hand picked RM12 worth of sweet berries. There are lots of strawberry farm in CH. But, this is the one and only farm bearing over thousands of large-sized matured fruits!

Title: CHUBBY & CUTE
Location: Highlands Bee Farm, Habu, Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Date: 21 May 2009, 3:33pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/7.1, ISO Equiv.: 100

Stumbled upon this cute chubby fella.

Title: The Strawberry Garden
Location: Highlands Bee Farm, Habu, Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Date: 21 May 2009, 3:29pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/7.1, ISO Equiv.: 100

Endless rows of potted strawberry plants. I've visited numerous strawberry park in Cameron Highlands. I have to say the maturing red sweet smelling fruits in Highlands Bee Farm are the BEST. Almost every single plant were bearing large-sized fruits.

Title: Sunflowers Galore
Location: Highlands Bee Farm, Habu, Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Date: 21 May 2009, 3:24pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/9.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

It's strange...these sunflowers were left to wilt under the hot sun. I think the flowers were cultivated to harvest the seeds alone.

Title: I'm the BEE MAN!
Location: Highlands Bee Farm, Habu, Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Date: 21 May 2009, 3:47pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/4.5, ISO Equiv.: 200

There are lots of wooden box housing over hundreds of honey bees. It was difficult to take pictures of honey bees because they were moving rapidly. Halfway, a worker opened a huge wooden box with a transparent glass pane full of 'live' bees! WOW! I can see the worker bees, the queen, the hive, the honey and everything else. The bees were buzzing away ignoring my presence.

Title: Welcome to Highlands Bee Farm
Location: Highlands Bee Farm, Habu, Cameron Highlands, Malaysia
Date: 21 May 2009, 3:56pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/8.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

Do not be misled by the old and dirty signboard. There are two bee farm in Cameron highlands - the lousy one in Brinchang and the good one in Habu. This bee farm has a wonderful sunflower garden, a big strawberry garden and a mountain full of honey bees. A hidden jewel in CH.


This is my second trip to Cameron Highlands, Pahang. My first trip dated (August 2008) was a short one lasting for one full day. For my second trip, I’ve decided to drive to Cameron Highlands via North South Expressway. Initially, I was a bit hesitant to drive because I was worried on those snaky slopes and occasional landslides. But, traveling to Cameron Highlands without your own transport is a BIG NO-NO! Public buses are UNRELIABLE and taxis fares are damn expensive! Well, I think I can handle it since I’ve been to Fraser’s Hill, Pahang with similar long and winding road.

It was a smooth three hours drive from Kepong, Kuala Lumpur. I drove all the way to Tanah Rata, Cameron Highlands via Sungai Buloh exit to the highway. Parking is not a problem in Cameron Highlands as ample bay available and also it’s FREE! I went to Kang Travelers Hotel (Tanah Rata) and paid RM60 for 2D 1N stay. I got myself a comfy room with bed and a washing sink. There’s no fan or air conditioner - not a problem because it’s COLD and WINDY in Cameron Highlands. Bathroom and toilet are located on the corridor – sharing basis with other occupant. RM30 per night is one great offer. I can even charge my hand phone and camera batteries using the wall socket in my room. Kang Travelers Hotel is a great place to stay if you’re looking for an affordable and clean budget accomodation.

Later, I changed my clothes and drove my car all the way to Honey Bee Farm in Habu, Cameron Highlands. Habu is roughly 8km from Tanah Rata. Entrance to the bee farm is FOC. There are two bee farms in Cameron Highlands. The one in Brinchang is a LOSER! But, this bee farm in Habu fondly known as Highlands Bee Farm is a hidden jewel! I called it a 3 in 1 farm. The farm has a beautiful sunflower garden, huge strawberry garden and a medium-sized collection of honey bees.

Visitors can pick and eat fresh strawberries in this farm. I can smell the sweet fruity fragrant from the maturing fruits! I returned to this farm the third day to handpick some strawberries. It’s not easy to pluck these berries. Do not be fooled by the red coloured fruit. Avoid picking rotting and 'bruised' fruits. Use your fingrs and press it lightly to feel the texture of the fruit. I spent at least half an hour picking some large-sized fruits. I paid a whooping RM12 for a small packet with around 25 strawberries – around Rm0.50 per piece = quite expensive.

At the inner part of the park, I can see lots of white boxes housing thousands of honey bees. I was allowed to snap pictures at the honey bee enclosure. Halfway, I was informed by the Chinese Big Boss not to get too close or risk getting sting by bees. In addition, he told me to distance myself because I was preventing the bees from entering the white boxes…lol

Cameron Highlands – Getting There:

Please click this link for more info:

More info?

Read these articles before you travel:


Cameron Highlands – Map

Download FULL PDF MAP listing all places of interests including these townships: Ringlet, Habu, Tanah Rata and Brinchang. [PDF File, 902kb]


Destination [1] Highlands Bee Farm and [2] BOH's Tea Estate in Habu, Cameron Highlands

0 comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails












My Photo
shloke
Traveling & photography are the most rewarding & enriching experiences in my life. Photography is all about discovery, enjoying myself, having adventure, learning people & nature. The greatest experience for me is the connection I felt with NATURE. If you haven’t seen Malaysia, you haven’t seen the world! My photography works are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported.
View my complete profile


mylo's twitter

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter