Sekinchan Paddy Fields - Endless Green Horizon

Posted by shloke 03 December 2009
Title: Paddy & ME :)
Location: Sekinchan Paddy Fields, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 26 November 2009 (Thursday), 2:06pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/8.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

It was the HOTTEST day, EVER! I got severe sunburn. Flakes of skin peeled off from my face, neck and hand.

Title: Exploring The Paddy Field
Location: Sekinchan Paddy Fields, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 26 November 2009 (Thursday), 2:23pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/6.3, ISO Equiv.: 100

Halfway exploring the paddy fields, I stumbled upon some cute looking birds - mostly hiding in the field.

Title: The Shoebox Building
Location: Sekinchan Paddy Fields, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 26 November 2009 (Thursday), 1:54pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/9.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

A gigantic custom-made building for swiftlets farming. Can you see the tiny holes on the building? Those holes were drilled into the building for ease of access by swiftlets.

Title: Owned by BERNAS
Location: Sekinchan Paddy Fields, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 26 November 2009 (Thursday), 2:07pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/7.1, ISO Equiv.: 100

A small plot of paddy field owned by BERNAS - Padiberas Nasional Berhad. The remaining paddy fields belong to farmers in Sekinchan and Kedah.


Title: The Pink Babies :)
Location: Sekinchan Paddy Fields, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 26 November 2009 (Thursday), 11:46am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 140

Adult apple snails deposit their eggs above the waterline. It protects the eggs against predation by fish and other aquatic inhabitants.

Title: Golden Apple Snail a.k.a. 'Siput Gondang Emas'
Location: Sekinchan Paddy Fields, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 26 November 2009 (Thursday), 11:45am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 140

According to Wikipedia, the family Ampullariidae, common name the apple snails, are large tropical and subtropical freshwater gastropods with an operculum.

The Ampullariidae are unusual because they have both gills and lungs, the mantle cavity being divided to separate the two types of respiratory structures, allowing them to be amphibious. Source: Wikipedia

Title: The Loose Connection
Location: Sekinchan Paddy Fields, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 26 November 2009 (Thursday), 1:39pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/7.1, ISO Equiv.: 100

I wanted to crossover the bridge. But the wooden planks were shaky and wobbly. I'd rather not take the risk.

Title: The House of Swiftlets
Location: Sekinchan Paddy Fields, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 26 November 2009 (Thursday), 2:36pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/8.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

What a great idea! Swiftlets farming in paddy field. AWESOME!

Title: The Bridge of Sekinchan
Location: Sekinchan Paddy Fields, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 26 November 2009 (Thursday), 1:39pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/7.1, ISO Equiv.: 100

Lush paddy fields next to the bridge.

Title: The Water
Location: Sekinchan Paddy Fields, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 26 November 2009 (Thursday), 2:49pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/8.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

YUCK! Coffee colored water for the paddy field.

Title: The Green Horizon
Location: Sekinchan Paddy Fields, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 26 November 2009 (Thursday), 1:26pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/8.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

It's a beautiful place. I wish I can stay longer to capture the sunset with my camera.

Title: The Canal
Location: Sekinchan Paddy Fields, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 26 November 2009 (Thursday), 11:41am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 100

The paddy fields in Sekinchan are HUGE!

Title: The Farmers
Location: Sekinchan Paddy Fields, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 26 November 2009 (Thursday), 2:15pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/8.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

Hardworking farmers tending the paddy field.

Title: Double
Location: Sekinchan Paddy Fields, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 26 November 2009 (Thursday), 1:32pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/7.1, ISO Equiv.: 100

It was hot but breezy. I have to take shelter under a tree every 15 minutes. The heat was unbearable!


One week ago, I returned to Sekinchan in Selangor. I wanted to explore the lush paddy field in Sekinchan. It was a one and a half hour drive via Federal Route 54.

I parked my car next to a plot of empty land. It was the HOTTEST afternoon in my life! I was walking under the hot sun for two long hours. The next few days, flakes of skin were peeled off from my face! I look like a molting snake! I had horrible sunburn on my face, neck and hands :(

Nevertheless, it was an amazing trip. Another great day for photography. I discovered many wonderful animals along the way. I found loads of 'siput gondang emas' (translation: golden apple snails) and their clusters of pinkish eggs. The snails has invaded the paddy fields! This species has become a major pest of rice throughout Asia and Malaysia. Other than that, I also stumbled upon some cute looking birds hiding in the paddy field.

Later, I stumbled upon a dull building. It has a rectangle shape with no windows. Swiftlets were flying in and out of the building. Several hailers were positioned on top of the building - blaring out repetitive bird’s calls. It is a custom made building for swiftlet farming. In other words, this is an artificial breeding ground for swiftlets. I wanted to check out the interior of the building. But it was locked.

I LOVE the endless green horizon. I wish I can stay for another one hour. But, the hot sun was killing me...slowly! I decided to call it a day and walked back to my car. Overall, Sekinchan paddy fields are breathtaking, relaxing and a beautiful place. It is definitely another MUST-SEE attraction in Selangor.

Help me to reach 600 fans before December 31st, 2010. Click 'LIKE' and become a fan.



Last updated November 3rd, 2010 (1:31 a.m.)

Sekinchan Paddy Field - Google Maps:
Sekinchan Paddy Field - Read More/Useful Links:

  1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampullariidae (Wikipedia Article About Golden Apple Snail)
  2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiftlet (Wikipedia Article About Swiftlet)
  3. http://www.squidoo.com/swiftlet (Swiflet Farming in Malaysia)

10 comments

  1. Hai Mylo, I thought you became a Padi planter when I saw the pics loading. Haha, joking :)

    Anyway, Sekinchan has always been a popular spot for all sorts. I know of wedding photography that make trips there, TV Commercial and Movie Productions love this place and also those who dread driving 4 hours to Kedah to see padi fields.

    Back in my TV Production days, I used to visit Sekinchan a lot for my productions. Not any more :) Goodbye terrible life....

    Nice stuff man!

    Regards,
    David
    Malaysia Asia

     
  2. Roger Says:
  3. I love the padi fields in Msia.

     
  4. Hey man, CONGRATULATIONS on being in the Final for BlogForFT! You did awesome stuff with your submission :) Hope you win it!

    Regards,
    David
    Malaysia Asia

     
  5. shloke Says:
  6. David

    I LOVE to be a farmer! Perhaps for only one day :) The heat is really terrible. I cannot 'tahan' the extreme temperature over there.

    Yep! Sekinchan is definitely an ideal location for photo shooting and commercial productions. Imagine that - big plot of paddy fields in Selangor. Also, the fishing village is 1km from the paddy field. These two locations should be promoted as tourist attractions!

    Thank you again for your great support! Winning the grand prize? That's really TOUGH! But, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

    Roger

    Remember to visit Sekinchan for paddy fields and fishing town.

    Cheers!
    mylo

     
  7. Anonymous Says:
  8. I like the building! It's so beautiful against the clear sky.
    Good composition! :)

     
  9. shloke Says:
  10. 1ondoncaller

    Thanks!

    Cheers!
    mylo

     
  11. Merrinette Says:
  12. interesting!

     
  13. shloke Says:
  14. Merrinette

    Thanks!

    mylo

     
  15. Sash Windows Says:
  16. It’s really a very informative post. Travel Blog Some of the new circuits have been really good. I dare say this one will be up there with the best as well. I’m been looking for topics as interesting as this. Looking forward to your next post specially on Travel guides , the popular exotic destinations, amazing photos and travel tips. Please keep it up.

     
  17. shloke Says:
  18. Sash Windows

    WOW! Thanks for your kind comments and great support!

    I'm releasing another unique post about 'Penampang Pasir - Meeting The High Priest and Exploring The Cracker Industry'

    Stay tune!

    Cheers!
    mylo

     
Related Posts with Thumbnails












My Photo
shloke
Traveling & photography are the most rewarding & enriching experiences in my life. Photography is all about discovery, enjoying myself, having adventure, learning people & nature. The greatest experience for me is the connection I felt with NATURE. If you haven’t seen Malaysia, you haven’t seen the world! My photography works are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported.
View my complete profile


mylo's twitter

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter