9 Emperor Gods Temple: Spiritual Center of Sekinchan

Posted by shloke 18 January 2010
I've Found The 7th Dragon Ball :)

Location: Sekinchan Paddy Field (九皇爺 Temple), Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 14th January 2010 (Thursday), 10:59am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/8.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

This 'fiery' ball reminds me of Dragon Ball (ドラゴンボール). Where is Goku?

Fortune Telling, Anyone?

Location: Sekinchan Paddy Field (九皇爺 Temple), Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 14th January 2010 (Thursday), 11:08am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 500

I wanted to shake this container of Chinese fortune telling sticks. But, who is going to translate my fortune? The fortune papers were printed entirely in Chinese. I hate being BANANA!

Lucky Number 27

Location: Sekinchan Paddy Field (九皇爺 Temple), Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 14th January 2010 (Thursday), 11:12am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.3, ISO Equiv.: 1600

Hmmmm....I can only read three (三) and sky (天).

Statue of Deities

Location: Sekinchan Paddy Field (九皇爺 Temple), Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 14th January 2010 (Thursday), 11:09am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 450

I saw a Garuda head!

Guan Yu - The God of War

Location: Sekinchan Paddy Field (九皇爺 Temple), Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 14th January 2010 (Thursday), 11:11am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.3, ISO Equiv.: 360

A stern looking God of War.

According to Wikipedia:

Guan Yu is traditionally portrayed as a red-faced warrior with a long lush beard. While his beard was indeed mentioned in the Records of Three Kingdoms, the idea of his red face may have derived from a later description of him in Chapter One of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, where the following passage appears:

“Xuande took a glance at the man, who stood at a height of nine chi, and had a two chi long beard; his face was of the color of a Zao, with red lips; his eyes were like that of a phoenix's, and his eyebrows resembled silkworms. He had a dignified aura and looked quite majestic"

The Grand Altar

Location: Sekinchan Paddy Field (Chinese Temple), Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 14th January 2010 (Thursday), 11:05am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/4.2, ISO Equiv.: 1400

Statues of Gods and Deities.

Paddy & Temple

Location: Sekinchan Paddy Field (九皇爺 Temple), Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 14th January 2010 (Thursday), 11:26am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/10, ISO Equiv.: 100

I didn't expect to see a huge Chinese temple at the end of the paddy fields.

Spiritual Center of Sekinchan

Location: Sekinchan Paddy Field (九皇爺 Temple), Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 14th January 2010 (Thursday), 11:37am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/7.1, ISO Equiv.: 100

Side entrance archway of the Nine Emperor Gods Temple, with the paddy fields abundant.

The Roofs of Haven

Location: Sekinchan Paddy Field (九皇爺 Temple), Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 14th January 2010 (Thursday), 11:19am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/9.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

Details of the roof design of the Nine Emperor Gods Temple. I like the pair of blue dragons with horse-like bodies. MYTHICAL BEASTS! ROAR!!

The Tower

Location: Sekinchan Paddy Field (Chinese Temple), Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 14th January 2010 (Thursday), 11:18am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/9.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

View from one of the twin towers.

9 Emperor Gods Temple of Sekinchan

Location: Sekinchan Paddy Field (九皇爺 Temple), Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 14th January 2010 (Thursday), 11:01am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/8.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

The yellow color is overpowering! Interestingly, yellow and gold color herald heavenly glory - according to Chinese traditions.


I did not expect to see a Chinese temple at the end of the paddy fields. From afar, I can see two beautiful temple towers. I decided to visit this temple.

I'm a banana and total noob in Chinese words. I was trying hard to figure out the name of this temple. Luckily, I stumbled upon a board circular that mentioned this place as Sekinchan Nine Emperor Gods 九皇爺 Temple.

I spent almost one hour checking out the interior and exterior of the temple. At first, I walked into the temple. I saw a huge praying altar with statues of deities. Other than that, there are two sets of Chinese fortune telling sticks. The whole place was eerily quiet! There is nobody in the temple - not even a caretaker. It's kind of creepy!

After that I walked out of the temple. I climbed up the two twin towers on the temple. It was really windy. At the top of the tower, I can see virtually the entire paddy fields in Sekinchan. The temple roof was decorated with ornate porcelain tiles. Simply beautiful and outstanding!

If you are traveling to Sekinchan in Kuala Selangor, remember to visit the following attractions (click to read my journey):


Sekinchan Chinese Temple - Google Maps:

8 comments

  1. Roger Says:
  2. Because of this visit hopefully you will be blessed!

     
  3. fufu Says:
  4. wow... nice ya this colourful temple... so new...

     
  5. Anonymous Says:
  6. Did you carry a ladder with you there?!
    How did you get those roof level photos? Ha ha?

    Amazing point of view!
    I love the Paddy & Temple shot.
    Really beautiful!

     
  7. Carmen Says:
  8. do you have to pay in order to go in?

    because certain temple do charge entrance fee one..

    nice picture though.. very nice and sharp yellow...

     
  9. Mark Says:
  10. I came to your blog just when I was surfing on this topic. I am happy that I found your blog and information I wanted.

     
  11. shloke Says:
  12. Roger, fufu & Mark

    Thanks! I think it's a new temple in Sekinchan.

    1ondoncaller

    LOL! I climbed up the two twin towers at the temple. Got roof shots from there :)

    Thank you again!

    Carmen

    It's FOC! (Nobody in the temple). Usually entrance to Malaysian temple is FREE. Ocassionally, we'll encounter some pesky caretakers asking for donations. I'll answer 'SORRY'.

    Cheers to all!
    mylo

     
  13. lechua Says:
  14. totally relate to the trying to the banana part... was trying to spot wat else i could read on lucky number 27. never got to try the fortune teller stick before. was this the same visit in sekinchan when u saw the big fish?

     
  15. shloke Says:
  16. lechua

    It's my latest visit to Sekinchan - different times :)

    Cheers!
    mylo

     
Related Posts with Thumbnails












My Photo
shloke
Traveling & photography are the most rewarding & enriching experiences in my life. Photography is all about discovery, enjoying myself, having adventure, learning people & nature. The greatest experience for me is the connection I felt with NATURE. If you haven’t seen Malaysia, you haven’t seen the world! My photography works are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported.
View my complete profile


mylo's twitter

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter