Lepok Rainforest Waterfall - Nature's Paradise

Posted by shloke 10 February 2010
I Spotted A Baby Pitcher

Location: Lepok Rainforest Waterfall, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 8th February 2010 (Monday), 11:44 a.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/7.1, ISO Equiv.: 100

Lepok Rainforest Waterfall is a little bit of everything - a mixture of Chiling's River Fish Santuary, Mount Nuang and Pine Tree Trail.

I was holding a baby pitcher plant. If you look carefully, you'll catch a tantalizing glimpse of the rainforest's hidden gems.

L.O.S.T

Location: Lepok Rainforest Waterfall, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 8th February 2010 (Monday), 3:15 p.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 100

Earlier (at the entrance of the Rainforest) I stumbled upon En. Roslan (a kampung folk and also a RELA member). I asked directions from him. He used a twig and sketch out many twist and turn on the sandy soil. It was confusing! Later, he gave me his number and asked me to call him up if I'm LOST.

After trekking for almost an hour, I reached this area overgrown with weeds, grasses, thorns, ferns, canes, and shrubs. This place have multiple openings and confusing trails. I decided to call up En. Roslan. All unanswered calls. What a bummer! I followed my common sense and trekked all the way to the waterfall.

HUGE OBSTACLES

Location: Lepok Rainforest Waterfall, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 8th February 2010 (Monday), 12:44 p.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 100

The top obstacle is a HUGE fallen tree. The lower obstacle is a piece of abandoned water pipe. I need to crossover these two obstacles to reach the waterfall. So, I climbed up the rusted pipe and then the gigantic tree trunk.

Leap of Faith

Location: Lepok Rainforest Waterfall, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 8th February 2010 (Monday), 2:00 p.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/7.1, ISO Equiv.: 100

Thank God! I was not bitten by any leeches :) Leech bites are ITCHY & UGLY! I've still got 10 ugly black colored scars on my body (from previous trekkings).

This Is My Paradise!

Location: Lepok Rainforest Waterfall, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 8th February 2010 (Monday), 2:01 p.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/6.3, ISO Equiv.: 100

A well deserved rest. Look closely...a dragonfly just landed on my hallux (big toe).

It was one of the trickiest trekking. So many unmarked trail openings. I rely on my common sense to trek 3.5 km deep into the rainforest and locate the waterfall. Three words to sum it up - SCARY, CRAZY & FUN!

The water was icy cold! I was soaking my tired feet. Simply refreshing. I wanted take it all off for a skinny dip...but decided otherwise :)

Crystal Clear

Location: Lepok Rainforest Waterfall, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 8th February 2010 (Monday), 2:00 p.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 100

Lepok Rainforest Waterfall is a combination of lush plants, peaceful rock formations and crystal clear water spilling into a large natural pond.

It's a medium-sized vertical rainforest waterfall - smaller than Chiling's River Fish Santuary. The water is crystal clear. A beautiful paradise! Stay tune for Part 2 to view pictures of the vertical waterfall.

The Waterfall & Cooling Jacuzzi

Location: Lepok Rainforest Waterfall, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 21st January 2010 (Thursday), 1:30 p.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/29, ISO Equiv.: 100

A decent 50 m vertical waterfall with a natural chilling jacuzzi. Not a GIGANTIC waterfall..but the water was ICY COOL despite the hot weather.

Dropped Dead, Gorgeous

Location: Lepok Rainforest Waterfall, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 8th February 2010 (Monday), 2:37 p.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.3, ISO Equiv.: 200

A piece of wilted leaf. LOVE the details of the leaf. I should've zoom closer.

Baby Fern

Location: Lepok Rainforest Waterfall, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 21st January 2010 (Thursday), 11:02 a.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 125

Come and witness the wonders of the Malaysian Rainforest with shade tolerant herbs, a variety of ferns, shrubs and broad leaved forest grasses.

Standalone

Location: Lepok Rainforest Waterfall, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 8th February 2010 (Monday), 12:58 p.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/6.3, ISO Equiv.: 100

An interesting plant reaching out for sunlight.

There are plenty of canopy trees in the rainforest. These gigantic trees block sunlight from reaching the jungle floor. Smaller plants at the bottom will have to compete for that little sunlight.

Thumbs UP!

Location: Lepok Rainforest Waterfall, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 8th February 2010 (Monday), 11:36 a.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/8.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

Holding a medium-sized tropical pitcher plant....GENTLY :)

The inner cup features a deep cavity filled with watery-like liquid known as a pitfall trap. I peek through the cup and saw some tiny little insects. Interestingly, gigantic black ants LOVE to walk around the cup.

Scary Arachnid

Location: Lepok Rainforest Waterfall, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 8th February 2010 (Monday), 11:48 a.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 160

There are SO MANY spider webs in the rainforest. Spiders love to weave their web across the trails. Usually, I use a piece of twig to 'push them aside'. Unfortunately, I got 'wrapped' with spider web more than 5 times while trekking in Lepok.

Luckily, I avoided this gigantic web spin by a scary looking spider. This is not a macro shot. It's a BIG MOMMA! As big as my face!

I spent 10 minutes staring at this fella. If you look closely, you'll see yellow colored sticky stuff. I move as close as possible to the web. But, I stopped after getting 10 cm face to face with this spider.

Dead, Shriveled Leaf

Location: Lepok Rainforest Waterfall, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 21st January 2010 (Thursday), 2:39 p.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 200

A close-up shot.

The Starting Point

Location: Lepok Rainforest Waterfall, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 21st January 2010 (Thursday), 10:51 a.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/7.1, ISO Equiv.: 100

Crossing a dilapidated wooden bridge to trek into the forest.

Into The ABYSS

Location: Lepok Rainforest Waterfall, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 21st January 2010 (Thursday), 11:24 a.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 200

This is one of the darker trails in the forest. I saw a beautiful wild peacock along the way. Unfortunately, this beautiful bird disappeared into the forest before I can take out my camera.

Another Fallen Tree

Location: Lepok Rainforest Waterfall, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 21st January 2010 (Thursday), 3:17 p.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/8.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

As the path wound down along the waterfall's edge, walking grew more challenging. Leaves, fallen trees and big branches littered the trail.

A C.L.U.E!

Location: Lepok Rainforest Waterfall, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 21st January 2010 (Thursday), 3:30 p.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 200

I remember reading from somewhere about ribbons as clues. Luckily, I stumbled upon some yellow and red colored ribbons tied to the trees. Actually, these ribbons are not really a good marker - some ribbons are torn and loosen. I still prefer clear markings or signboards. Anyway, I rely on the ribbons to find my way out :)

I've just returned from Lepok Rainforest Waterfall in Selangor. It was one of the craziest rainforest trekking....EVER! Not really difficult. But the 3.5 km forest trail is mind boggling - with so many unmarked, confusing and crazy trails. I nearly lost in the jungle. It is not a one way trail. I bumped into so many openings (multiple trails). CONFUSING!

At times, I wandered aimlessly...waiting for someone to 'help me' with the directions. Luckily, I bumped into two helpful Temuan tribespeople.

But it was also one of the BEST trekking in my life! I saw a beautiful wild peacock foraging the rainforest. Other than that, I was 'attacked' by a crazy flying lizard. I was walking along one of the dark trails. Suddenly, a flying lizard as big as my palm did a kamikaze dive straight on my sweaty face! YIKES! I nearly got a heart attack! I quickly brushed it off with my hand. You know what? I even whacked off my spectacle onto the forest ground. LOL! That's a FIRST!

I trekked at my usual pace (slow and steady) trying to find some good photo opportunities. So, I wasted almost 45 minutes doing that. Later, I decided to fasten my pace and reached the 'hidden' waterfall. It's a medium-sized vertical fall with a cooling natural Jacuzzi. The water is amazingly COOL despite the hot afternoon. I was the only lone wanderer in the forest. The only sound I can hear is the thunderous waterfall. It was a peaceful, relaxing and stress-free experience. An ideal getaway from the hustle and bustle of city life.

I wish I could stay there forever. But the sky turns cloudy. I decided to pack my stuff and trek back to the entrance. I was 'running' mad trying to avoid the rain. Overall, it was a beautiful trekking. There is a little bit of everything in Lepok Rainforest Waterfall. I'm looking forward to revisit this nature's paradise :)



Last updated October 29th, 2010 (1:50 p.m.)

Lepok Rainforest Waterfall - Getting There:

Lepok Waterfall is located about 15km north of Hulu Langat, near Kg. Pangsun. You can use the highway to get there via Cheras. As you approach Hulu Langat, look out for Kg. Pangsun.

Just before you reach Pangsun, turn left to Lepok. Remember to ask the kampung folks for directions. There are many roadside stalls.

By now, you should be on a small dirt road. Just keep going straight and you'll reach a settlement and the start of the trail.

Best to start early in the morning (7 a.m. or 8 a.m.) as it can get quite hot later in the day.

Parking is RM2.

Lepok Rainforest Waterfall - Google Maps:

Lepok Rainforest Waterfall - YouTube Video:



Lepok Rainforest Waterfall - Read More/Useful Links:

  1. http://www.waterfallsofmalaysia.com/83lepok.php (All About Lepok Waterfall)
  2. http://tinyurl.com/ybjcwyd (Paradise Found, Article by AllMalaysia.info)
  3. http://tinyurl.com/ybeqvcq (Backcountry wonders, Article by TheStar paper)

11 comments

  1. fufu Says:
  2. wow the pitcher plant here in the peninsular is different with what i had seen in sabah =p hohohoh crystal clear water!! i wanna soak up my body there =p and you captured nice picture with the spider.. i will do more hiking here in frankfurt after all the presentation (on 22nd) 2more weeks to go and i will be freed

     
  3. SHLoke,
    Nice photos,
    Clear waters even with trees chopped,
    is it maintain by the forestry?
    is there a mini hydro nearby?

     
  4. Carmen Says:
  5. omg! dont you feel scared when you are lost??

    i am amazed how you calm yourself...

    thumbs up from me!

     
  6. micki Says:
  7. That was quite an adventure! I love hikking, but this hike sounds a bit too challenging for me :) That giant spider might scare me away~~ Beautiful rainforest, especially that crystal clear water! Thumb up for your hike!

     
  8. Roger Says:
  9. Another trekking destination for Singaporeans! From your description, it sounds challenging. Phone reception doesn't seem to be good. Reminds me of your Fraser's Hill trek. Hey, please don't ever get lost. You are my source of trekking information you know.

     
  10. shloke Says:
  11. fufu

    I think the pitchers in Lepok are smaller than Sabah. Best of luck with your projects!!

    thomas

    Thanks!

    No mini hydro plant and not maintain by forestry department. I reckon this place belongs to Temuan tribespeople.

    There is a big dam in Gunung Nuang - 1 km from Lepok. Gunung Nuang is under the jurisdiction of local forestry department.

    micki

    Actually, it's not a difficult hike (for a frequent hiker like you). But then again, there is no proper markings to guide hikers. Quite frustrating at times.

    The rainforest is truly beautiful! I didn't expect to see wild peacock, big spider, pitcher plants and also flying lizard.

    Roger

    There are many waterfalls and hiking trails in Hulu Langat, Selangor. I've conquered Sg. Gabai, Sg. Congkak, Sg. Tekala, Gunung Nuang and Lepok Rainforest - all in Hulu Selangor.

    You may want to check this out:
    http://tinyurl.com/yz5qygm

    LOL! If I get lost, I'll sleep in the jungle, conserve energy, wait for the next day and find my way out :)

    I'm addicted to trekking :)

    Carmen

    Panicking will only make matters worse. I try to stay calm, gather my thoughts and find my way :) It works perfectly!

    Gong Xi Fa Cai to all!
    mylo

     
  12. Anonymous Says:
  13. So calm!
    It makes me wanna jump into the water!
    Did you see any snakes?!
    Do you always go to that sort of places alone?

    I dare not lah... Takut ada hantu! Ha ha...

     
  14. fufu Says:
  15. xin nian kuai le... gong xi fa cai and happy valentine's day :)

     
  16. xplorer Says:
  17. first time i ever heard of lepok forest reserve . I guess there is still a few places that i haven't been too in malaysia .I had been lost before after jungle trekking for 2 hours in Niah forest reserve,sarawak.lucky i found an orang asli who had guide me , the mosquito there will drive you crazy.I had lost most of my photo on GUA NIAH and its lush forest . I do recommend that you go there . I had been longing to go to Ba Kelalan and Mulu cave but doesn't seem to have the time . Can't leave Jr for too long.Happy chinese new year .....

     
  18. shloke Says:
  19. 1ondoncaller

    The water was ICY COLD! Simply refreshing!! I only saw a small dead snake along the trail. The big ants were trying to lift the dead body.

    Mostly solo trip :) Where got 'hantu'? LOL!

    fufu

    Same to you too!!

    xplorer

    Lepok Rainforest Waterfall is fun! You'll LOVE it! We can always rely on 'orang asli' to find our way in and out of the forest:)

    There are so many other places to explore in Malaysia. Got to see all of them!!! I know....when you are married with kids...it's pretty difficult to spend longer times away. I'm still loving my bachelor life.

    Happy holidays to all!
    mylo

     
  20. Jobless Girl Says:
  21. Seem like this is not an easy journey to get there.

     
Related Posts with Thumbnails












My Photo
shloke
Traveling & photography are the most rewarding & enriching experiences in my life. Photography is all about discovery, enjoying myself, having adventure, learning people & nature. The greatest experience for me is the connection I felt with NATURE. If you haven’t seen Malaysia, you haven’t seen the world! My photography works are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported.
View my complete profile


mylo's twitter

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter