Wat Meh Liew Thai Temple: Old, Dark & Eerie

Posted by shloke 16 May 2010
Article Preview

Hi Scooby-Doo!

Location: Wat Meh Liew, Jalan Tun Razak, Pekeliling, KL, Malaysia
Date: 14th May 2010 (Friday), 10:48 a.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 200

Scooby-Doo was the first person to greet me. Look at those innocent eyes. I patted her few times. Later I discovered she has many dog fleas...plenty of them! YIKES! She needs a good bath urgently!

I'm CUTE :)

Location: Wat Meh Liew, Jalan Tun Razak, Pekeliling, KL, Malaysia
Date: 14th May 2010 (Friday), 10:50 a.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 280

Her abdomen looks firm and she has enlarged nipples. A momma-to-be :)

It's smokey!

Location: Wat Meh Liew, Jalan Tun Razak, Pekeliling, KL, Malaysia
Date: 14th May 2010 (Friday), 10:40 a.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 500

The incense smoke was unbearable. I was nearly suffocated.

The Monk

Location: Wat Meh Liew, Jalan Tun Razak, Pekeliling, KL, Malaysia
Date: 14th May 2010 (Friday), 10:15 a.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 1600

Looks like a real monk. It's strange. I've seen these 'monks' in almost all Thai temples. I wonder...what is the significance of these statues? Perhaps founder of the temple?

Dark & eerie

Location: Wat Meh Liew, Jalan Tun Razak, Pekeliling, KL, Malaysia
Date: 14th May 2010 (Friday), 10:28 a.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.0, ISO Equiv.: 320

Looks mysterious to me.

Gold colored Buddha

Location: Wat Meh Liew, Jalan Tun Razak, Pekeliling, KL, Malaysia
Date: 14th May 2010 (Friday), 10:07 a.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.3, ISO Equiv.: 200

One of many Buddha statues in the temple.

Abandoned but not forgotten

Location: Wat Meh Liew, Jalan Tun Razak, Pekeliling, KL, Malaysia
Date: 14th May 2010 (Friday), 10:24 a.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 180

Old statues of Guan Yin left by devotees at the back of the temple.

The face of Guan Yin

Location: Wat Meh Liew, Jalan Tun Razak, Pekeliling, KL, Malaysia
Date: 14th May 2010 (Friday), 10:23 a.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 1400

A wooden statue of Guan Yin 觀音 - Goddess of Mercy. This human-sized statue was left unkempt at the back of the temple.

Colors of faith 1

Location: Wat Meh Liew, Jalan Tun Razak, Pekeliling, KL, Malaysia
Date: 14th May 2010 (Friday), 10:46 a.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/7.1, ISO Equiv.: 100

An abstract wall design.

Colors of faith 2

Location: Wat Meh Liew, Jalan Tun Razak, Pekeliling, KL, Malaysia
Date: 14th May 2010 (Friday), 10:46 a.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/7.1, ISO Equiv.: 100

Interesting geometry shaped praying altar.

The incense

Location: Wat Meh Liew, Jalan Tun Razak, Pekeliling, KL, Malaysia
Date: 14th May 2010 (Friday), 10:43 a.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/9.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

Strange looking incense.

The luck bringer

Location: Wat Meh Liew, Jalan Tun Razak, Pekeliling, KL, Malaysia
Date: 14th May 2010 (Friday), 11:04 a.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/3.5, ISO Equiv.: 1600

Lottery punters flocked to this statue asking for luck in gambling. After good luck prayers, devotees can be seen stuffing pieces of cigarettes on His mouth.

Where is the Yellow Man?

Location: Wat Meh Liew, Jalan Tun Razak, Pekeliling, KL, Malaysia
Date: 14th May 2010 (Friday), 10:30 a.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.3, ISO Equiv.: 360

An old banner behind the temple. Several dilapidated praying boards were also 'dumped' at the back.


I used to be a Buddhist. Things have for sure changed rapidly over the years. Too many unanswered questions. I've lost my faith in religion. Who am I now? Well I consider myself a secular humanist. One who rejects religious beliefs but concerned with the interests and welfare of humans. Richard Dawkins (British ethologist, evolutionary biologist and popular science author of The God Delusion) is my answer for life, the universe, and everything. I've found some solace from him.

I still believe in the importance of religion to mankind. I think that a world without religion would be worse. The world would go crazy!

Photobucket
-->Buddha

I decided to visit Wat Meh Liew Thai Temple because I needed desperately that feeling of peace, quiet and tranquillity. I cherish the nirvana-like atmosphere in a house of worship. The house of worship seems to be very calm and cool. I feel relaxed away from the tension of world. It's hard to describe why I feel like this.

This is my first visit to the Thai Temple near bulatan Pahang, Kuala Lumpur (KL), Malaysia. It is the oldest Thai Temple in KL (built in 1929). My expectations were pretty high. I've heard so many good stories about this place. It's only natural to anticipate great things. Finding the place is a bit tricky. The two entrances are partially hidden from the main road. I rely on Google Maps to locate the easiest road.

Photobucket
-->I need a bath badly

Slowly and carefully, I work my way to the praying hall. The temple is dark, eerie and looks simple. Nothing impressive. I was greeted by a cute looking bitch. She was wagging its tail non-stop. I walked closer to get some up close and personal shots. Halfway doing that, I saw loads of dog fleas. OMG! That's shocking!

The chief abbot Phra Kru Sirik Panjawood (a.k.a Chief De Monk, Chao Khun, Chao-A-Wat or Ketua Sammi) was blessing some devotees with chants and prayers. I decided to leave them alone. There is a medium-sized statue of sitting Buddha. The praying hall was dark and eerie. I tried to get some decent shots but it was impossible. Too many 'noise' in my pictures.

So I waited patiently for the abbot to complete his blessing. I wanted to snap a picture of him. I saw an Indian devotee standing right next to another smaller statue mumbling some incomprehensible words. You know what?! I think he was asking for some gambling luck. I'm quite good at reading people's body language.

Photobucket
-->Give me luck

It seems many people were waiting to be blessed. Another old man carries along his amulet asking for luck and blessings. I decided to explore the rest of the temple. At the back of the temple, I saw some God idols (Buddhas, Guan Yin and two unknown deities). Later I found out these two odd looking deities are favorite among lottery punters. At one point, I was nearly suffocated. Some devotees were lighting way too many praying incense. The smell and smoke. Urgh!!!

At last, I got a one-on-one meeting with the abbot. He speaks a little bit of English. He obliged for having his photo taken. After that, he was asking me non-stop on my photography intention. I just answered "I'm writing for an article" Period. He looks at me suspiciously. LOL! By the way, the picture was underexposed.

Photobucket
-->More God idols

Overall, I was rather disappointed with the entire experience. It's a small, dark and eerie temple. But then again, it didn't deter devotees from coming to this temple. I mean loads of them. I would LOVE to see a brighter and cleaner temple.

Good news to all my readers. You may get the latest updates from my official Facebook page. Click HERE. Please join me and 'like' my page.


Last updated 21st May 2010 (11:53 p.m.)

Wat Meh Liew - Getting There:

The temple is located near the ever busy roundabout of Pekeliling Flats, Jalan Pahang (near Tawakal Hospital). There are two entry routes that lead into the temple with convenient car parking facilities.

The easier way is to drive directly into the temple compound via the the tunnels of the Pekeliling roundabout. Anyway, try to avoid going on Friday's Prayer as parking is a major issue with thousands of Muslims devotees performing their Friday's prayer of the Mosque/Surau next to it.

Note: Details about getting there adapted from leofoo blog entries.

Wat Meh Liew - Google Maps:


Wat Meh Liew - Things to Do/See:

  1. Thai four-faced Buddha (四面佛)
  2. Amulet casing
  3. Medium-sized sitting Buddha
  4. Multiple statues of Chinese Gods and Deities
  5. Blessing from Chief Abbot
Wat Meh Liew - YouTube Video:

In this video: Inner temple. Video taken with my hand phone camera.

Wat Meh Liew - Read More/Useful Link:

  1. http://tinyurl.com/23wnmge (External views of the temple, courtesy from Leo Foo)
  2. http://tinyurl.com/23a3gzk (Internal views of the temple, courtesy from Leo Foo)

8 comments

  1. fufu Says:
  2. wow used to be buddhist? well you shouldnt reject it because of your dad or the indian guy just praying for luck in gambling ya :) anyway i used to burn josssticks everyday to the ancestors since i started helping my mother in our small kedai runcit and then pasar... then after going to japan, i think it's sort of pollution though once a while i do so when my mother passes the josssticks to me...

    well back to the topic... i wanna see the exterior of the temple... and see how the entrance looks like... any more pictures?

     
  3. shloke Says:
  4. fufu,

    Not to say that I rejected my religion. I changed my beliefs because I was enlightened by science. Modern science has now provided answers to almost every question man can ask. I don't want to sound cocky. Everyone, in my opinion, should be entitled to their opinion.

    Also, that luck gambling thingy is just a small part that let me rethink about my religion.

    Fufu, you may check out these links to view the interior and exterior of the temples:

    http://tinyurl.com/23wnmge (External views of the temple)
    http://tinyurl.com/23a3gzk (Internal views of the temple)

    Cheers!

     
  5. Beautiful Pictures. Excellent Effort by the writer. You can see Beautiful Uzbekistan Pictures from our photo gallery. http://www.harleytourism.com/photo-gallery-uzbekistan.html

     
  6. micki Says:
  7. Indeed it is a small Thai temple, but it has so many statues, especially the Guan Yin. I saw the external and internal views that you provided. I think the way they believe Luck Bringer in quite interesting- putting a burning cigarette into the mouth....
    Thank you very much for the Top Documentary Films. It is an excellent resource! I bookmark it! :):)

     
  8. Shelyn Says:
  9. The temples with a lot of so called 'devotees' to pray for themselves for their own selfish desires (4D in example), are usually look quite eerie. Coz I don't think the real Gods are actually staying there.

     
  10. Anonymous Says:
  11. Aiya, you shouldn't pet stray dogs or cats lah.
    I know they are cute, but you must control yourself.
    I like "The face of Guan Yin". The wooden pattern is like a marble.

    If I were a millionaire… / 如果我是百万富翁的话… / Kalau saya jutawan… / ミリオネアになったら…

    Don't know. I am actually quite simple. If I can get a good place to live, right next to the sea. Even if it's a beach hut, I will be happy.

    Stage designs / 舞台设计 / Reka bentuk pentas / ステージ·デザイン

    Yes, that's actually a lot. Each theatre only does one show/ play. Eg, Theatre A only plays Sound of Music for a long period of time. Some theatre plays the same play for many years. Eg Phantom of the Opera has been here since 1986...

     
  12. lechua Says:
  13. the monk does look real indeed.... impressed with how u cover all these places that i didn't quite know about in my own country..

     
  14. shloke Says:
  15. Uzbekistan Pics,

    Thanks and welcome to my photo and travel blog!

    Micki,

    I'm still trying to find out why devotees put statues right next to Bodhi trees. I think gamblers stuffed a burning fag as a sign appreciation for answering their prayers.

    No problem about that -->Top Doc. Sharing is caring :)

    Shelyn,

    I don't believe in any God staying in these statues. Better to have a brighter temple.

    londoncaller,

    She was wagging its tail and virtually smiling to me. I cannot resist the temptation. LOL!

    I'm your alter ego...forever materialistic :)

    lechua,

    I'm stuck in KL and Selangor. I was searching online for somne'unknown' places and end up end up in this temple.

    Cheers to all!

     
Related Posts with Thumbnails












My Photo
shloke
Traveling & photography are the most rewarding & enriching experiences in my life. Photography is all about discovery, enjoying myself, having adventure, learning people & nature. The greatest experience for me is the connection I felt with NATURE. If you haven’t seen Malaysia, you haven’t seen the world! My photography works are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported.
View my complete profile


mylo's twitter

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter