Article Preview

Title: Nature's Goose Bumps?
Location: Gunung Nuang, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 28 September 2009, 2:44pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 450

Nope. This is a close-up shot of a dark green leaf with droplets of rainwater.

Title: The Water is ICY COLD!!!
Location: Gunung Nuang, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 28 September 2009, 1:45pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 360

Remember to stop at Lolo Camp to enjoy the icy cold river. A refreshing, relaxing and well deserved rest. Check out my YouTube video below.

Title: Left to ROT
Location: Gunung Nuang, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 28 September 2009, 12:17pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 200

A piece of bamboo stick with no commercial value. This mountain is a dumping ground for bamboos leftover.

Title: An Aftermath of S.H.A.M.E!
Location: Gunung Nuang, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 28 September 2009, 3:34pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 200

Piles of discarded bamboo sticks - a common scene in Gunung Nuang. Loggers picked the best sticks and dumped the remainders in secluded spots.

Title: Proof!
Location: Gunung Nuang, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 28 September 2009, 12:02m
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/6.3, ISO Equiv.: 100

Tyre markings from loggers' motorbike. Logger keep bamboo sticks and shoots in huge plastic container (fastened to the back of the bike) and transport them out of the mountain.

Title: Lush Greenery Abundant
Location: Gunung Nuang, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 28 September 2009, 10:58am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 160

This mountain is full of pesky mosquitoes. Remember to wear long sleeve shirt for better protection. I was sweating like a pig! I guess my sticky and stinky sweat act as a natural repellent :)

Title: Still A Long Way To Go
Location: Gunung Nuang, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 28 September 2009, 11:17am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/6.3, ISO Equiv.: 100

The trail to Lolo Camp seems endless. Do not fret. The trail is full of surprises. If you search carefully, you'll find wonderful insects, lizards, wild monkeys, mouse deer and wild boar.

Title: Rocky Trails
Location: Gunung Nuang, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 28 September 2009, 11:20am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/6.3, ISO Equiv.: 100

I LOVE walking on rocky trails. Rough surface has greater friction, thus enabling better grip.

Title: The Shadowy Trail
Location: Gunung Nuang, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 28 September 2009, 11:11am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/6.3, ISO Equiv.: 100

What do you see? I see beautiful shadows!

Title: Rocky & Steep
Location: Gunung Nuang, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 28 September 2009, 11:18am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/7.1, ISO Equiv.: 100

Climbing up rocky and steep trails is tiring and it drains my stamina.

Title: The Green Web
Location: Gunung Nuang, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 28 September 2009, 10:05am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/6.3, ISO Equiv.: 100

A close-up shot on a piece of leaf.

Title: Trident Shaped Leaf
Location: Gunung Nuang, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 28 September 2009, 3:33pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 125

A fallen beauty.

Title: Infected
Location: Gunung Nuang, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 28 September 2009, 12:08pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.3, ISO Equiv.: 280

A piece of leaf infected with fungus.

Title: Lush Greenery
Location: Gunung Nuang, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 28 September 2009, 2:46pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/3.8, ISO Equiv.: 360

I captured this picture on my way back. It was raining for one hour. Fortunately, the forest's canopy trees filtered out most of the raindrops.

Title: Aboriginal Kiddos
Location: Gunung Nuang, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 28 September 2009, 10:06am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 180

I stumbled upon two groups of aboriginal kiddos at the beginning of the trail.

These kiddos were fully clothed but without shoes or slippers. I tried to start a conversation but they were wary of my presence. A missed opportunity.

Title: The River at Lolo Camp
Location: Gunung Nuang, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 28 September 2009, 12:56pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/11, ISO Equiv.: 100

It started to rain the moment I reached Lolo Camp. I wanted to snap more river shots but the sky turns cloudy insantly.

Title: Warning Sign
Location: Gunung Nuang, Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 28 September 2009, 10:01am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/8.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

This is the entrance to the Mount Nuang. The signboard says 'NO BURNING OR RM50 000 FINE OR 5 YEARS JAIL OR BOTH' I was hoping to see an additional clause saying NO BAMBOO LOGGING OR 100 WHIPPINGS ON YOUR ARSE!


Before I start rambling, let me clarify something. I deleted my earlier post entitled 'I Witnessed Bamboo Rape in Gunung Nuang' BUT WHY??? I guess I need more info before jumping into conclusions. Nevertheless, I DESPISE the fact that rampant bamboo logging is ongoing in Gunung Nuang.

This is my third hike to Gunung Nuang (translation: Mount Nuang). Gunung Nuang is the highest mountain in Selangor (1493m/4898 ft). Its peak marks the meeting point of three Malaysian states; Negeri Sembilan, Pahang dan Selangor. The mountain itself is the highest point in Selangor and part of the Titiwangsa Mountains. I always wanted to conquer Gunung Nuang. But, I woke up late. So, I can only hike up to Lolo Camp (1st Camp). To reach the peak, I need at least 8 - 1o hours.

On my recent trip, the forestry officer remembers me. He smiled at me and asked:

"Seorang saja" (Translation: One person only?)

I answered:

"Ya, encik (Translation: Yes, sir) Again, I reassured him that I'm a seasoned hiker. So, no worries.

Hiking in Gunung Nuang is no easy feat. On a scale of 1 - 10, I would rate Gunung Nuang as 7 and Pine Tree Trail as 8. The trail in Gunung Nuang is rocky. On rainy days, it can be muddy and slippery. The first one hour of hiking is a killer! My stamina drop rapidly especially when climbing steep trails. I was huffing, puffing and sweating.

After reaching the first sheltered rest area, I breathe a huge sight of relief. The trail is no longer that steep. I walked for another 60 minutes before reaching Lolo Camp. There is a nice cooling river at Lolo Camp. Remember to look for a concrete staircase that is overgrown shrubs. Walk down the stairs and you'll see a lovely river. The river is surprisingly cool. It feels like you are dipping your feet in a river of icy cold 7 UP. I can only think of two words - REFRESHING & RELAXING.

OK!!!! Back to the bamboo 'rape and rampage'. Gunung Nuang is a bamboo mountain. There are thousands of bamboo trees. The view is SUPERB! Look like China but without panda bear :) This is the BEST bamboo mountain I've seen in my life!!! Sadly, I witnessed large scale bamboo logging in Gunung Nuang. The loggers ride motorbike and carry along machetes. On my first and second visit, I saw at least 8 - 9 hardworking loggers. During my latest trip, I saw one logger on my way up and two loggers on my way out.

I was pissed seeing loggers chopping down bamboos for lemangs and shoots. Bamboo sticks are harvested to make lemang - a traditional food which is cooked in a hollowed bamboo stick lined with banana leaf to prevent the rice from sticking to the bamboo. Bamboo shoots are edible shoots used in Asian dishes and broths.

If the forestry office is located next to the main entrance...then.....how come loggers are SO DARING?? I was dumbfounded. So, I did some research and consulted my brother (who is an architecture consultant with building landscape and design knowledge).

According to Wikipedia, "Bamboos are the fastest growing woody plants in the world. Their growth rate (up to 60 centimeters (24 in.)/day) is due to a unique rhizome-dependent system". Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo

A whooping 60 cm growth per day?? WOW!! That's I.N.S.A.N.E!!! My brother said bamboo trees grow like wild grasses. Bamboos are fast growers. Perhaps these are bona fide loggers given permission to hack and slash. The mystery remains unsolved.

I'll return to Gunung Nuang soon. I dreamt of reaching the peak of Mount Nuang.

Gunung Nuang - Getting There:
  • From Kuala Lumpur head out to Cheras-Kajang highway and go through the first toll way.
  • Take the first left exit (Exit 702 - Persimpangan Hulu Langat) where a large sign points the direction to Air Terjun Gabai, Air Terjun Tekala, and Air Terjun Batangsi.
  • Stay left on the two-lane road (Ulu Langat)
  • Watch for a series of brown signs to Air Terjun Gabai, Hutan Rekreasi Sungai Chongkak and Hutan Rekreasi Gunung Nuang along this road and expect a left turn at a junction.
  • Watch for blue signs pointing the way to Hutan Lipur Sg. Chongkak, Perdik and Gabai (another 20-25 km ahead).
  • Continue straight ahead on Ulu Langat road until you see the signs for a left turn to Sg. Chongkak; Hutan Lipur Gunung Nuang is another 5 km at the end of the road at Pangson.
Gunung Nuang - Fees & Parking:

Only RM1 for entrance fee. Ample parking space available.


Gunung Nuang - Things To Do/See:

a) Hike up to Gunung Nuang (8 - 9 hours long for both ways)
b) Amazing Bamboo Trees
b) River at Lolo Camp
c) Mountain Top View

Gunung Nuang - My YouTube Videos:

On Location: The Bamboo Aftermath

The River in Lolo Camp

Gunung Nuang - Read More:

a) http://www.thingsasian.com/stories-photos/27611 (All about hiking in Gunung Nuang)
b) http://tinyurl.com/ybb4d4k (A blog entry)

Gunung Nuang - Google Maps:

5 comments

  1. Roger Says:
  2. Hah, another trekking opportunity for a Singaporean. Thanks Alex. Lovely place. I'd certainly like to see this Little China with its bamboo groves. I drive to KL, spend one nite then trek the next day. Singapore car safe to park there I presume? I ask this because in JB Singapore cars are always the target for the enforcement people. Know what I mean?

     
  3. shloke Says:
  4. Roger,

    There are loads of bamboo trees over there. You can virtually see them 'growing'!

    You may drive thru the main entrance and park your car next to the chalet or Forestry Office. The place is safe and sound. Forestry officers guarding the main entrance until 6:30pm. Try hiking on weekends - loads of people.

    Cheers!
    mylo

     
  5. Roger Says:
  6. You people are so lucky to have great trekking trails close by. The nearest hill to Singapore is Gunung Pulai, about 800 m I think, in Pekan Nenas in Johor. Nice waterfall, trails and walk to the top. But following a series of landslides, the park was abandoned.Locals say it's re-opened but I checked twice but it's still closed. Wonder why the authorities are not giving Pulai Park the attention it deserves.Malaysia boleh kan?

     
  7. shloke Says:
  8. Roger,

    Malaysia BO...LEH :)

    I guess it's the 'tidak apa' attitude. You need to highlight this issue in local paper. Let it be known to public. Perhaps that will 'motivate' prompt actions from them.

    Do you have any good trekking trails in Singapore?

     
  9. cchin Says:
  10. You should try Gunung Benom in Pahang next..

     
Related Posts with Thumbnails












My Photo
shloke
Traveling & photography are the most rewarding & enriching experiences in my life. Photography is all about discovery, enjoying myself, having adventure, learning people & nature. The greatest experience for me is the connection I felt with NATURE. If you haven’t seen Malaysia, you haven’t seen the world! My photography works are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported.
View my complete profile


mylo's twitter

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter