Little Cameron In Sekinchan: Veggies In Paddy Field

Posted by shloke 16 January 2010
Pic 1: Green Turd, Anyone?

Location: Sekinchan Paddy Field (Veggie Farm), Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 14th January 2010 (Thursday), 12:33pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/9.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

A junior cucumber that looks like a turd! Do you think this 'turd' will straighten up later?

Pic 2: Thorny & YUMMY!

Location: Sekinchan Paddy Field (Veggie Farm), Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 14th January 2010 (Thursday), 12:03pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 100

My first time seeing the real cucumber plant. Young cucumber has many prickly thorns!

Pic 3: Baby Cucumber

Location: Sekinchan Paddy Field (Veggie Farm), Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 14th January 2010 (Thursday), 12:07pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 140

Looks like a handy weapon :) I feel like hitting someone with this cucumber...PLONK!

Pic 4: Whose Balls Are These??

Location: Sekinchan Paddy Field (Veggie Farm), Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 14th January 2010 (Thursday), 12:22pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/9.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

Okay...these two green balls remind me of........

Pic 5: Green Limes Galore!

Location: Sekinchan Paddy Field (Veggie Farm), Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 14th January 2010 (Thursday), 12:18pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/8.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

A single lime tree can produce up to 100 ++ green sour fruits!

Pic 6: Cucumber Flower

Location: Sekinchan Paddy Field (Veggie Farm), Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 14th January 2010 (Thursday), 12:11pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/7.1, ISO Equiv.: 100

Strange looking cucumber flower.

Pic 7: Lady's Fingers Flower (Okra)

Location: Sekinchan Paddy Field (Veggie Farm), Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 14th January 2010 (Thursday), 12:28pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/10, ISO Equiv.: 100

These flowers were gorgeous! As big as my fist!

Pic 8: Double The Sour!

Location: Sekinchan Paddy Field (Veggie Farm), Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 14th January 2010 (Thursday), 12:21pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/8.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

These green limes smell havenly! My hands still retain the lime smell for the entire day!

When I was a kiddo, I LOVE to drink lime water. Just grab one big lime, squeeze the juice into a glass of water, add two teaspoons of sugary solution & chilled it. Tasty fresh lemony drink :)

Pic 9: Hanging Cucumber of Sekinchan :)

Location: Sekinchan Paddy Field (Veggie Farm), Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 14th January 2010 (Thursday), 12:32pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/8.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

Cucumbers are a vine plant and most varieties will climb. It has powerful tendrils that support the plant. These tendrils are SUPER STRONG. Look at those yellow colored twisted tendrils. I tried to pulled them, but it was as tough as a piece of rope. I'M NOT KIDDING!

Pic 10: Can You Guess What This Is?

Location: Sekinchan Paddy Field (Veggie Farm), Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 14th January 2010 (Thursday), 12:15pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/7.1, ISO Equiv.: 100

Yep! It's ladies' fingers. Both chili and lady's fingers are planted together.

Pic 11: Red or Green?

Location: Sekinchan Paddy Field (Veggie Farm), Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 14th January 2010 (Thursday), 12:26pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/7.1, ISO Equiv.: 100

I think these chilies were yelling at me "Take us home mylo!"

The chilies are so fragile. These two chillies were detached from the plant after I snapped this picture. Luckily, no one spotted me. PHEW!

Pic 12: Ripe & Ready To Eat

Location: Sekinchan Paddy Field (Veggie Farm), Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 14th January 2010 (Thursday), 12:02pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/6.3, ISO Equiv.: 100

Freshly harvested cucumbers. There is nobody on the veggie farm. I was tempted to take some veggies as green souvenirs.

Pic 13: Dropped Dead

Location: Sekinchan Paddy Field (Veggie Farm), Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 14th January 2010 (Thursday), 12:23pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/8.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

A wilted cucumber leaf. It looks like a papaya leaf.


Lately, I've been traveling back to the same places. On Thursday (14th January 2010), I drove for nearly two hours back to Sekinchan. This is my second trip to Sekinchan paddy fields in Kuala Selangor.

Did you know? Selangor will be the next largest paddy producer in Malaysia. It was reported in The Star paper....but I can't find the archived news report. During my first visit, I only managed to explore 50% of the paddy fields. The fields in Sekinchan are HUGE & ENDLESS!

On my first trip, I was forced to return back to my car after spending few hours there - the heat was unbearable. I was TOASTED ALIVE under the hot sun. I got some great pictures and also severe sunburn that lasted for almost a week.

For my latest trip, I wanted to explore the inner fields. So, I drove my car deep into the paddy fields. It was a refreshing and relaxing drive. Green horizons on both sides of the road. Occasionally, I saw a few hardworking farmers tending the paddy fields.

I was driving slowly on the narrow tarred road. I saw a huge and colorful Chinese temple at the end of the paddy fields. It is a beautiful temple. Remember to catch my next article to view pictures of this temple.

After visiting the temple, I explored the unseen paddy fields in Sekinchan - hidden from the main road. Along the way, I stumbled upon 20 plots of medium sized land cultivated with green veggies. It was surreal. The place looks like a mini Cameron Highlands! I was surprised to see that especially in paddy fields.

I parked my car at the side of the road. Gosh, I was worried sick about my car. Huge vehicles (including lorries and vans) were speeding along the narrow road. It was impossible to find a decent parking spot at the end of the fields! Utterly frustrating!

It was another EXTREME HOT AFTERNOON! I was sweating like a horse and smelling like a pig. At one point, I can feel my skin burning! As usual, I was mesmerized by the surrounding....thus forgotten the torturing sun...momentarily. First time in my life seeing cucumber and lime plants. That's AWESOME!

It was an amazing experience exploring the veggie farms. I've learnt a lot from this trip. The growing cucumbers (I called them baby cucu) are CUTE! Cucumber is a type of climbing plants. The twisted tendrils are as strong as a nylon rope. NO KIDDING! Also, young cucumbers fruits have prickly thorns!

At one point, I felt like a total stranger trespassing on these private farms. I saw metal fences barricading the farms - perhaps to ward off veggie robbers. Along the way, I met a Chinese farmer who was spraying some sort of chemical solution on these veggies. I looked at him and he looked back at me. I wanted to talk to him but I don't think he wanted that. So, I just moved on exploring other farms.

Next, I walked to a big plot of land planted with chilies. The chilies grow at the bottom of the plant - close to the soil. Again, I grabbed some chilies with my left hand and click the snap button with my right hand. OMG! ..........The bunch of chilies detached from the plant...easily. I just dumped it on the ground. Luckily, nobody spotted me. LOL!

I spent almost one and a half hour walking under the hot sun exploring these farms. The place was eerily quiet - with occasional vehicles speeding through the field.

On my way back to my car, I chanced upon some lime trees. There are less than 50 lime trees (based on my own estimation). But the trees were fruiting actively! At least 100++ limes on a single tree. The trees are so smelly :) A mixture of lime and lemon smell. I grabbed some fruits with my hand and the fragrant smell lasted for nearly one whole night!

Overall, it was another beautiful trip. I did not expect to see a medium sized veggie farm at the end of the fields. I think I'm the first blogger to cover this veggie farm.

Stay tune for my upcoming post - The colorful temple in the middle of the paddy fields :)

Help me to reach 600 fans before December 31st, 2010. Click 'LIKE' and become a fan.



Last updated November 3rd, 2010 (1:34 a.m.)

Sekinchan Paddy Fields - Google Maps:

4 comments

  1. Anonymous Says:
  2. Ha ha ha... Today's lesson is very erotic!
    All these cucumbers come in different shapes and sizes. Ha ha...

     
  3. fufu Says:
  4. wow... very cute baby cucu!! :p are you showing off the heat over there? it's freaking cold here... but i am loving the cold weather =) didnt know chili merah/hijau can be that easily detached... i also love chili :p

     
  5. Carmen Says:
  6. i been to Sekinchan paddy field few years ago..

    i didnt finish walking.. just like a part of it and i turned back =p

    no energy to walk anymore...

    btw, nice picture and cute cucumbers... i didnt know cucumbers are so curvy when they are still baby =)

     
  7. shloke Says:
  8. 1ondoncaller

    LOL! My imagination.........

    fufu

    I wish I can spent some time in a cold place like Germany, UK or Beijing.

    Carmen

    You should travel back to Sekinchan. So many things to see!

    Thank you! I think that turd-like cucumber is an anomaly growth.

    Cheers to all!
    mylo

     
Related Posts with Thumbnails












My Photo
shloke
Traveling & photography are the most rewarding & enriching experiences in my life. Photography is all about discovery, enjoying myself, having adventure, learning people & nature. The greatest experience for me is the connection I felt with NATURE. If you haven’t seen Malaysia, you haven’t seen the world! My photography works are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported.
View my complete profile


mylo's twitter

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter