Article Preview

I spent two days in Hat Yai หาดใหญ่. I boarded an express bus (Konsortium Bus Semenanjung) from Puduraya station to central Hat Yai หาดใหญ่. It was a RM50 ticket with a personal comfy seat. A midnight trip that last for nine hours long. I stayed in Louise Guesthouse next to Robinson shopping plaza. The rate was 300 THB per night. Quite expensive. But, the room exceeds my simple expectation. It has a clean double bed with fan, attached bathroom, toilet paper, towels, complimentary soaps and most importantly....with additional noise proof panel on the windows. Other than that, the Chinese elderly boss is friendly and really helpful. A highly recommended guest house if you are looking for a simple and budget place to stay. Here is the address and contact details - 21-23 Thamnoon Vithi Rd., Hat Yai Songkhla 90110 Tel. 074-220966. Read travelers' reviews from travelfish.org - http://tinyurl.com/nv2r4g

I have so many photos to process! By far, I only managed to deal with 10% of the photos. Mostly, pictures from Hat Yai market at Saeng Arthit Road, Suphasanrangsan Road and Montri 1 & 2 Road.

Looking back, I really miss the wet markets in Hat Yai หาดใหญ่. It is HUGE and simply AMAZING - it encompass several blocks and way bigger than any single market in Malaysia. You can find anything and everything in these markets. From exotic meat to strange looking veggies. By the way, there are so many pork sellers in Hat Yai. The Thai and Muslim traders are able to blend harmoniously. I was truly amazed to see Thai Buddhist and Thai Muslim working side by side selling their products...irrespective halal or non-halal. Back here in Malaysia, I hope similar scenarios are visible in near future.

Beside checking out the wet markets, I also explored Wat Hat Yai Nai วัดหาดใหญ่ใน to see the world's third largest reclining Buddha. After that, I walked uphill in Hat Yai Municipal Park สวนสาธารณะเทศบาลเมืองหาดใหญ่ for nearly 2km to explore the Brahman Shrine and see the gigantic statues of King Rama V, Guan Yin and laughing Buddha. This Hat Yai Municipal Park is a hidden gem in Hat Yai. The place is very similar to Kek Lok Si in Penang.

More about Wat Hat Yai Nai and Hat Yai Municipal Park in my future post. I'll be updating at least two more posts about Hat Yai หาดใหญ่ Wet Market.

Title: A Little Bit of Everything
Location: Wet Market, Hat Yai หาดใหญ่, Southern Thailand
Date: 2 September 2009, 10:25am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 200

A happy trader selling her products next to a building. She was arranging some tamarinds making it more presentable to customers.

Title: Hot and Spicy 'Sup Tulang' (Bone Soup)
Location: Wet Market, Hat Yai หาดใหญ่, Southern Thailand
Date: 2 September 2009, 10:01am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/6.3, ISO Equiv.: 100

You can buy fresh hot packets of 'sup tulang' from this lady. Each packet contains generous portion of spicy soup and some meaty tulang.

Title: This Is How I Do It
Location: Wet Market, Hat Yai หาดใหญ่, Southern Thailand
Date: 2 September 2009, 10:01am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/6.3, ISO Equiv.: 100

She was tying packets of 'sup tulang' (bone soup). Look closely, you'll see loads of meaty bones in the packets.

Title: Thailand: Land of Smiles
Location: Wet Market, Hat Yai หาดใหญ่, Southern Thailand
Date: 2 September 2009, 10:03am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/6.3, ISO Equiv.: 100

I asked her permission to take photos of the rambutans She obliged immediately. Surprisingly, she posed candidly for me. NICE! By the way, it was funny....the traders in Hat Yai หาดใหญ่ thought I was a Korean or Japanese :)

Title: Catfish Aunty :)
Location: Wet Market, Hat Yai หาดใหญ่, Southern Thailand
Date: 2 September 2009, 9:48am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 200

Thai people love to eat catfish. I've explored nearly 90% of the three markets. I saw at least 20 stalls selling catfish. This auntie was slaughtering some catfishes. She has medium to large-sized catfishes. After snapping three pictures in a row, a customer (an old lady) tap on my shoulder and asked to see the pictures through the LCD panel. She gives me thumbs up!! HOORAY!

Title: Fish Balls, Meat Balls & White Taufus
Location: Sheltered Market, Hat Yai หาดใหญ่, Southern Thailand
Date: 1 September 2009, 9:45am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.3, ISO Equiv.: 1000

She was an elderly Thai Buddhist. Look like any typical Malaysian Chinese. I had high respects for her. She is still working to earn a decent income.

Title: Homemade Thai Curry
Location: Sheltered Market, Hat Yai หาดใหญ่, Southern Thailand
Date: 2 September 2009, 9:46am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/4.0, ISO Equiv.: 200

13 bowls of homemade Thai curry. Normally, Thais buy small packets of these curry paste as instant ingredients for curry dishes. Thai curry servings are simply delicious. I've tasted Thai pork and beef curry - HOT, TASTY AND AWESOME!

Title: Assorted Veggies
Location: Wet Market, Hat Yai หาดใหญ่, Southern Thailand
Date: 2 September 2009, 9:36am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 180

I can see salted veggies, pineapples, fungus ears, pumpkins and long beans. You can buy virtually any type of veggies over here.

Title: Piggy Legs Anyone??
Location: Wet Market, Hat Yai หาดใหญ่, Southern Thailand
Date: 2 September 2009, 9:53am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 180

There were loads of pork seller in Hat Yai หาดใหญ่ wet market. More than 50 stalls!! Pigs here, there and everywhere. The sellers display the pigs openly. In Malaysia, pig sellers normally cover their stall with pieces of newspapers and clothes...silly.

Title: Cockles ALIVE!!!
Location: Wet Market, Hat Yai หาดใหญ่, Southern Thailand
Date: 2 September 2009, 9:45am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.3, ISO Equiv.: 200

These cockles are still alive. The tongue-like red membrane was moving in and out. A tasty ingredients in 炒粿條 - Char Kuey Teow.

Title: My Room
Location: Louise Guest House, Hat Yai หาดใหญ่, Southern Thailand
Date: 2 September 2009, 11:54am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/7.1, ISO Equiv.: 100

A view from the window of my room. I'm not sure whether this signboard is related to Louise guest house. The room is clean, simple and comfy.

8 comments

  1. Roger Says:
  2. Your pics reflect the bustling street life very well. Makes me hungry looking at all those food! Ordinary Thai people are nice, aren't they?

    Your observation that Thai people of all religions work side by side is apt. In Satun and Krabi, where Muslims are seen in large numbers, the same scenario is commonly seen.

     
  3. shloke Says:
  4. Roger, I snapped loads and loads of pictures. Glad my pictures is making you hungry :)

    I read a lot about the bombings and unrest in Southern Thailand. Well, It came to me as big surprise seeing people are able to live and work together harmoniously.

    WOW! Roger, you do travel a lot! got to visit Satun and Krabi someday.

     
  5. Roger Says:
  6. For KL people like you, Thailand isn't that far. I love Thailand. If you can speak basic Thai, it's more fun. Can you speak the lingo?

     
  7. Roger Says:
  8. I look forward to your pictures. On Wed I will be going to Miri for some caving adventures and also to the Kelabit Highlands.So if I am silent you know why.

     
  9. shloke Says:
  10. @Roger,

    I'm no good in Thai language :( Not even one word. Oh..hold on...I know one 'Sa-wad-dee-kap' :)

    WOW! Caving adventures!! BON VOYAGE & TRAVEL SAFE!

    Me too. Waiting eagerly for more travel tips from Roger :)

    Cheers!
    mylo

     
  11. fufu Says:
  12. wow... i love to visit market too...as i was once the Pasar Prince XD hihihi...piggy leg?? gotta stew it with vinegar =p yumyum

     
  13. shloke Says:
  14. @fufu,

    I see the real Thai people in these market :)

    Piggy with vinegar stew?...YUCKS! I hate the sour smell all time!

    Cheers!
    mylo

     
  15. Tucker Says:
  16. Hi there:-)

    We are looking for a place to stay for one night in Hat Yai and would like to book Louise Guesthouse.. But I can´t find an email adress any where for the accomodation... You have only listed phone number and adress too, do you know where I could find such an email:-)

     
Related Posts with Thumbnails












My Photo
shloke
Traveling & photography are the most rewarding & enriching experiences in my life. Photography is all about discovery, enjoying myself, having adventure, learning people & nature. The greatest experience for me is the connection I felt with NATURE. If you haven’t seen Malaysia, you haven’t seen the world! My photography works are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported.
View my complete profile


mylo's twitter

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter