Kg. Bagan Pasir: My First & Last Trip

Posted by shloke 17 March 2010
Aye, Aye, MYLO!

Location: Bagan Pasir Fishing Vilage, Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 8th March 2010 (Monday), 11:52 a.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.3, ISO Equiv.: 1250

A flower crab Portunus pelagicus saluting to me! I didn't notice that until I transfered my files to my PC. Several aunties were standing right next to me picking the freshest crabs at one of the fishing platforms cum instant wet market.

Fish Mummification

Location: Bagan Pasir Fishing Vilage, Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 8th March 2010 (Monday), 12:48 p.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/8.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

Salted fish left to dry under the hot sun. Look at those sad eyes and frowned lips...kind of freaky!

Frozen Goodies

Location: Bagan Pasir Fishing Vilage, Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 8th March 2010 (Monday), 12:41 p.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 1600

One of them has bloodshot eyes. I wonder why....

Smash It!

Location: Bagan Pasir Fishing Vilage, Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 8th March 2010 (Monday), 12:42 p.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 1600

This is a typical tool to kill a fish or perhaps make it unconscious. After whacking the fish a few hard times, the butcher proceed with removing the gills, guts and scales....easily.

Scales Remover

Location: Bagan Pasir Fishing Vilage, Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 8th March 2010 (Monday), 12:43 p.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 1600

A close-up shot on the chopping board. Tail, fin & scales....job finished!

Squids Galore

Location: Bagan Pasir Fishing Vilage, Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 8th March 2010 (Monday), 12:51 p.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 200

A huge plastic container with hundreds of squids.

Take Me Home, mylo

Location: Bagan Pasir Fishing Vilage, Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 8th March 2010 (Monday), 12:51 p.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 200

Can you find the sucker arms and feeding tentacles?

Parts of a squid. Source: http://www.mrsbauer.com/squid.html

Fishing Boats

Location: Bagan Pasir Fishing Vilage, Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 8th March 2010 (Monday), 11:55 a.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/8.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

It's so quiet in here! Where are the fishermen???

The Boat

Location: Bagan Pasir Fishing Vilage, Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 8th March 2010 (Monday), 1:42 p.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/8.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

An old fishing boat docking on one of the fishing platform. There were plenty of mudfish and cute looking crabs. My camera is not good enough...unable to zoom closer. I wanted to jump into the mud shoreline. But the surface was really dirty. YUCKS!

Follow ME

Location: Bagan Pasir Fishing Vilage, Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 8th March 2010 (Monday), 11:46 a.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/8.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

There are many stray dogs in this fishing village. Some cute looking puppies with angry looking momma and also some really distressed and diseased dogs. Sigh....I don't know what to say :(

The Doors

Location: Bagan Pasir Fishing Vilage, Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 8th March 2010 (Monday), 12:10 p.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/4.5, ISO Equiv.: 200

An old traditional house. Can someone tell me what is written on the doors?

Dried To Perfection

Location: Bagan Pasir Fishing Vilage, Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 8th March 2010 (Monday), 12:47 p.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/7.1, ISO Equiv.: 100

Golden brown salted fish. I think the drying process has finally completed :)

Small Fry

Location: Bagan Pasir Fishing Vilage, Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 8th March 2010 (Monday), 12:08 p.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 200

These smaller fish were dumped on the fishing platform. I saw some stray dogs and cats walking in circles...waiting for the right moment for their free lunch.

Under The Hot Sun

Location: Bagan Pasir Fishing Vilage, Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 8th March 2010 (Monday), 12:48 p.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/7.1, ISO Equiv.: 100

Freshly cut and salted fish under the hot sun.

The Fishing Net

Location: Bagan Pasir Fishing Vilage, Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 8th March 2010 (Monday), 11:50 a.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/8.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

I stumbled upon several bundle of fishing nets.

Soft Salty Fish

Location: Bagan Pasir Fishing Vilage, Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 8th March 2010 (Monday), 12:49 p.m.
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/10.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

Ooooh! I LOVE to eat these soft salted fish. A great addition in clay pot chicken rice. YUM! YUM!


I love every little thing about fishing village - the tranquility, cold breezy air, fishermen and their boats, rustic lifestyles and many more. It's a perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Over the last few months, I've traveled to every corner of the Selangor City. I've been in and out of Sekinchan fishing village many times. I just cannot get enough of those wonderful and blissful moments. A new and exciting therapeutic travel experience for me :)

Recently, I stumbled upon a travel article. A wonderful write-up about Kampung Bagan Pasir in Tanjung Karang. A beautiful article highlighting the picturesque fishing village and its famous food. The writer also posted three lovely pictures of the village. I was instantly mesmerized by the timeless beauty of Bagan Pasir. Everything looks so pretty and too perfect!

I referred to Google Maps searching for the exact location of Kampung Bagan Pasir. But it was not listed. So I type Kampung Bagan Pasir on the main page. Not many results. Later, I enhanced my search with the following keywords "Kampung Bagan Pasir Seafood + Blog". WOW! Many informative entries.

Several food bloggers gave rave reviews. I was going GA-GA looking at close-up shots of YUMMYLICIOUS butter prawns and steamed fish from Bagan Pasir. According to them, Kampung Bagan Pasir is a highly recommended place for cheap and tasty seafood. I was dreaming about Kampung Bagan Pasir all night long :)

The next day, I drove for almost 90 minutes to Tanjung Karang, Selangor. Kampung Bagan Pasir is very similar to Sekinchan Fishing Village. Only smaller in size. This place felt more like a ghost town than a fishing village. It is so quiet you can hear a pin drop!

I spent almost one hour walking from one fishing platform to another. At one point, I was stopped by a middle age Chinese man. He was yelling at the top of his lung (in broken Malay). I mean screaming so loud other kampung folks came out to see what happened.

"Apa lu buat sini?!"
(Translation: What are you doing here?)

I was shocked in AWE! I answered in Cantonese:

"Ying Seong!"
(Translation: Taking pictures)

What a BU.M.M.E.R!!!

Oh well...I just walked off and explore the rest of the fishing village. I was expecting fishermen unloading catch of the day. But I was unlucky. The fishermen only return late in the evening (from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.). I saw some workers packing squids, crabs and fishes into container with ice cubes. Other than that, I stumbled upon the usual salted fish. Nothing else has impressed me. Perhaps the food will enlighten me.

Kampung Bagan Pasir is still a picturesque fishing village. You'll see traditional wooden huts, mangrove trees and blue sky. Sadly, this village is not so perfect after all . When I looked at the bottom of the fishing platform, I can see piles of rubbish. It's ugly and smelly. It reminds me of Pulau Ketam (Crab Island). Stray dogs and cute looking puppies were searching for leftover food at the bottom of the platform. A sad, but true, scenario.

After that, I decided to skip my lunch. I have lost my appetite after seeing such a sight. I guess this will be my first and last trip to Kampung Bagan Pasir. Folks, do not be deterred by my personal views. I strongly believe that the food is still heavenly delicious. Maybe it's just me. I just couldn't stomach anything.

Last updated 17th March 2010 (6:53 p.m.)

10 comments

  1. micki Says:
  2. The crab is really saluting to you and it might say " please don't eat me....." That is so cute and a nice photo! Here is what is written on the door- " Promote on the current status to receive more wealth". This is my version, maybe someone else will have a better version :)

     
  3. fufu Says:
  4. my chinese is not good enough to help you >< but anyway i can be your food companion as i love seafood... one condition you gotta belanja bleks~

     
  5. xplorer Says:
  6. if you love fishing village try xploring terengganu . it is much cleaner there with white sandy beach and coconut tree

     
  7. lechua Says:
  8. enjoyed reading this post - can see ur passion for fishing villages! a pity about the rubbish and stray dogs....

     
  9. Anonymous Says:
  10. Me too, fishing kg is great for a day trip . Roger

     
  11. Anonymous Says:
  12. The fish in the 3rd photo is my favourite!
    I cannot remember their name...
    Used to have a lot when I was in Malaysia.

    Can't find them here in England!?!

    Where's the rubbish lechua mentioned?
    Can't find it in your photos.
    The Kampung was fairly clean, I think.

     
  13. eunice Says:
  14. halo! Fishy post yeah! And I just had a big Sri Lanka chilli crab! If you come Singapore, remember go to the famous coffee shop selling crabs at Still road. Only open from 5.30 onwards till crabs sold out by 7+ to 8. Cheap, big and delicious! Even your folks say so! :D

     
  15. sometimes it is better not to see too much but Pulau Ketam is suprisingly very clean during my last visit in Febuary 2010.

     
  16. shloke Says:
  17. Micki

    LOL! I didn't expect that from Mr. Crab :) Thanks for the wonderful translation!

    fufu

    No problem. Bill on me. Waiting for fu.

    xplorer

    I would definitely LOVE to explore the traditional fishing villages in Terengganu. Planning my road trip to Terengganu and Kelantan.

    lechua & 1ondoncaller

    Oh! I did mentioned a few words about the rubbish in the village. Quite an ugly sight. But I did not post those pictures. You'll see stray dogs and loads of rubbish beneath the fishing platform.

    Roger

    Definitely great and relaxing!

    eunice

    Halo! Gulp! Gigantic Sri Lanka Chili Crab??? Sounds delicious! I'm gonna taste those YUMMYLICIOUS crabs and visit Singapore Universal Studio.

    Thomas

    True :)

    Thanks for sharing your Pulau Ketam post! I'm really surprised! A better, cleaner and newer Pulau Ketam. Thinking of another trip.

    Cheeers to all!
    mylo

     
  18. evesonica Says:
  19. for my opinion, those are chinese proverb that wish someone in the family will be promoted as a higher post (officer) in government service. like the 'Datuk' title in malaysia. in older day, become a government officer is a pride to a chinese family in China.

     
Related Posts with Thumbnails












My Photo
shloke
Traveling & photography are the most rewarding & enriching experiences in my life. Photography is all about discovery, enjoying myself, having adventure, learning people & nature. The greatest experience for me is the connection I felt with NATURE. If you haven’t seen Malaysia, you haven’t seen the world! My photography works are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported.
View my complete profile


mylo's twitter

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter