Article Preview

Title: Squinting eyes and chipping skin
Location: Dharmikarama Burmese Temple, Penang, Malaysia
Date: 22 November 2008, 11.27am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/9.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

A close-up shot of a figurine. I like this shot because it gave the impression the figurine is squinting his eyes and skin is breaking apart due to extreme light and heat.

Title: In deep meditation
Location: Dharmikarama Burmese Temple, Penang, Malaysia
Date: 22 November 2008, 11.16am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/6.3, ISO Equiv.: 100


A female clay figurine complete with a red turban and elaborate 'costume'.

Title: A hard day's work
Location: Dharmikarama Burmese Temple, Penang, Malaysia
Date: 22 November 2008, 11.25am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/7.1, ISO Equiv.: 100

I love all these handmade figurines. I think this is a male figure. But then again, the two lumps of hair look a bit strange to me. This figurine is actually carrying a heavy load.

Title: 3D Wall Painting
Location: Dharmikarama Burmese Temple, Penang, Malaysia
Date: 22 November 2008, 11.20am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/6.3, ISO Equiv.: 100

A 3D wall painting depicting a hunter clad in traditional clothes and armed with a bow and arrows.

Title: The Golden Tower
Location: Dharmikarama Burmese Temple, Penang, Malaysia
Date: 22 November 2008, 11.23am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/10.0, ISO Equiv.: 100


Two bell shaped concrete tower painted in gold. Look carefully and you will see some ornaments hung on top of the towers. It was an extremely hot day. Fortunately, the picture is not overexpose at all! The blue sky is an added bonus to my pictures.

Title: The Pillar
Location: Dharmikarama Burmese Temple, Penang, Malaysia
Date: 22 November 2008, 11.24am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/9.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

An interesting pillar at the temple. I think those gold ornaments hanging on the pillars are some kind of traditioal Burmese bell.


Both Dharmikarama Burmese Temple and Wat Chaiyamangalaram Thai Temple are located side by side at Burmah Lane, Penang. I spent at least three hours in both temples taking photos and admiring the artistic statues and historical relics.

Overall, the Burmese temple is larger in size. Dharmikarama is the first Buddhist temple to be built in Penang back in 1803 - over 205 years. It has a larger compound with a medium-sized fish pond and a creative rotating wishing well. I can even see an albino shark swimming in the pond. The main attraction in the Burmese temple is the huge Buddha statue erected in the middle of the temple. The standing Buddha is a towering and majestic golden figure.

I have to say the Thai temple or Wat Chaiyamangalaram is a better attraction (more authentic) than the Burmese temple. Honestly, I felt the Burmese temple is a bit 'artificial'. It has a commercial attraction or feeling to it, rather than a religious site. For instance, at the entrance of the temple, you can see a makeshift stall selling laminated Bodhi leaves to visitors - picture of Buddha is laminated together with the leaf.

On the compound of the temple, I can see lots of clay figurines and also some amazing man-made tower. I adore these clay figures because it was crafted based on traditional Burmese facial and physical features.

One of the most notable features found in the temple is the pair of Panca Rupa, or 'Guardian Protectors of the World', standing over a replica of the world globe. These mystical beasts are said to be the masters of water, land and air, with appendages of various animals – the head of a lion with a trunk like an elephant, body of fish, wings of the mystical Garuda, ears and hooves of a horse and horns of a deer.

Overall, my trip to Dharmikarama Burmese Temple is just an OK experience. I went to the Thai temple first and then the Burmese temple later. So, basically I had higher expectation. Nonetheless, if you are somewhere around Burmah Lane, Penang, I strongly advised you to visit both temples - Wat Chaiyamangalaram Thai temple first and Burmese temple later.

2 comments

  1. Douglas Says:
  2. You have a great "eye" and a magnificent sense of color, shape, and shadow. I have been perusing your Albums and will spend a lot of time there, I think.
    Douglas

     
  3. shloke Says:
  4. Douglas,

    Thank you so much for your compliment! I LOVE photography a lot since I bought my very first DSLR camera. I try my best to get a unique and special angle for every single pictures I take.

    Hope you will keep on visiting my blog. I will be updating another three posts about Kek Lok Si Goddess of Mercy Temple soon - the best temple in Penang :)

    Cheers!
    mylo

     
Related Posts with Thumbnails












My Photo
shloke
Traveling & photography are the most rewarding & enriching experiences in my life. Photography is all about discovery, enjoying myself, having adventure, learning people & nature. The greatest experience for me is the connection I felt with NATURE. If you haven’t seen Malaysia, you haven’t seen the world! My photography works are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported.
View my complete profile


mylo's twitter

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter