Article Preview

Title: In Safe Hands
Location: Malawati Hill, Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 20 December 2008, 11.23am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 800


A golden brown infant hugging a female silver leaf monkey - Trachypithecus cristatus. It's pretty hard to take decent photos of these infant monkeys. This little cutie here was restless and trying to locate the mammary gland. I guess the golden rule is to be PATIENT and wait for the priceless moment. I am quite happy it turn out to be a wonderful collection of silver leaf monkey in action.

Silvered Leaf Monkey or the Silvery Langur, is an Old World monkey with grey tips on dark brown or black fur, although the groin and ventral side of the tail are yellowish in color. Females range from 46-51cm with an average weight of 5.7kg and a tail length of 67-75cm. Males are 50-58cm with an average weight of 6.6kg and a tail length of 67-75cm. When born this monkey is orange, developing its adult coats around three months. It has a highly complex, large stomach to digest the cellulose found in its herbivorous diet.

Facts in italic are taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvery_Lutung
s

Title: Picture perfect
Location: Malawati Hill, Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 20 December 2008, 11.24am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 800

"Sit properly, junior! This fine gentlemen here is trying to get a decent photo" I guess this is the advice given by the mother. Those eyes are BIG - remind me of those alien's eyes :)

Title: Distracted
Location: Malawati Hill, Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 20 December 2008, 11.23am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 800

A curious looking baby. Love this shot as well.
Title: Eagle eye
Location: Malawati Hill, Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 20 December 2008, 11.23am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 800

Locking on the 'target'.

Title: Reaching
Location: Malawati Hill, Kuala Selangor, Malaysia
Date: 20 December 2008, 11.23am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 800


The baby reaching for the 'target'. Actually this baby was trying to reach for some food.

The day before, I was watching Apocalypto (2006) directed by Mel Gibson until 2.00 am - what else can I say. It was a superb movie! This morning, I woke up at 6.30 am. I was tired, sleepy and wanted to postpone my Malawati Hill/Bukit Melawati trip. Nevertheless, the call of NATURE is so tempting. I forced myself with a refereshing morning bath and drove to Batu 5, Jalan Ipoh.

From there, I boarded Selangor Bus (Number 141) to Kuala Selangor. The bus fare is RM4.90. The bus trip is really a pain in the ass. The journey took about one and a half hour long! I was yawning on and off during the trip. It was a long and winding journey to Malawati Hill.

The Malawati Hill entrance is located close to the bus station. Visitors can board the tram for RM2 up to the hill. I asked the guy manning the ticket counter about the possibility waking up the hill. He told me it will be a 15-20 minutes walk.

So, I walked up to the hill feeling tired and sleepy - more like a living dead or zombie. The weather is not helping at all. It was a cloudy and moody day. Not a perfect day to take photos.

I can see lots of leftover cannons. There were two silver leaf monkeys lying lazily on the cannon. I took some photos. Later, a crowd of visitors arrived. Some of them purchased peanuts and 'kangkung' (a type of semi-aquatic tropical plant) to feed them. A big group of silver leaf monkeys rush to the visitors to get their goodies.

Remember to visit my blog again for Post 2 about Malawati Hill.

Malawati Hill - Getting There:

Car

If you are planning on driving, you can come from Kuala Lumpur via Sungai Buloh (Route 54) or if you are coming through the North-South PLUS Highway, exit at the Sungai Buloh signboard and follow the road signboard.

Bus

Take Bus no.141 from platform 23 at the main bus terminal, Puduraya Bus Station in KL.. The tickets are bought on the bus. Departs every half hourly starting from 6.30am.

More info:


Kuala Selangor Nature Park Location (Google Maps):

2 comments

  1. Shelyn Says:
  2. Hi shloke, I'm dropping by again. Your blog improved so much now, didn't know blogspot can have so many features.

    Good effort! And you travelled a lot huh?

     
  3. shloke Says:
  4. Hi! Thank you for checking out the blog again!!

    Thanks for the kind compliments! Me? I travel a bit..hope to travel MORE :)

    cheers!
    mylo

     
Related Posts with Thumbnails












My Photo
shloke
Traveling & photography are the most rewarding & enriching experiences in my life. Photography is all about discovery, enjoying myself, having adventure, learning people & nature. The greatest experience for me is the connection I felt with NATURE. If you haven’t seen Malaysia, you haven’t seen the world! My photography works are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported.
View my complete profile


mylo's twitter

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter