Article Preview

Title: Fallen
Location: Maxwell Trail, Fraser's Hill, Pahang, Malaysia
Date: 24 July 2009, 12:15pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 200

I was busy scanning the forest floor for some green goodies. At last, I bumped into this strange coloured piece of fallen leaf. The forest floor was covered with thousands of fallen and decomposing leaves.

Title: Green GLOW
Location: Maxwell Trail, Fraser's Hill, Pahang, Malaysia
Date: 24 July 2009, 1:44pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 180

A piece of leaf glowing green from the afternoon light.

Title: The Entrance to Maxwell Trail
Location: Maxwell Trail, Fraser's Hill, Pahang, Malaysia
Date: 24 July 2009, 11:58am
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/6.3, ISO Equiv.: 100

I parked my car at the roadside (opposite of Muar Cottage). There are two huge signboards directing trekkers to this small, partially hidden entrance.

Title: Green Twin
Location: Maxwell Trail, Fraser's Hill, Pahang, Malaysia
Date: 24 July 2009, 12:17pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/6.3, ISO Equiv.: 100

Picked up a strange looking fruit. Look like two ping-pong balls wrapped together :)

Halfway scanning the forest floor, I got the shock of my life! A large-sized wild boar was squealing non-stop ...breaking the silence...perhaps trying to warn other piggies of my presence. My heart was beating fast. The sound was scary. I reached out for a long piece of twig to defend myself...just in case.

Title: Gigantic Wood Fungi
Location: Maxwell Trail, Fraser's Hill, Pahang, Malaysia
Date: 24 July 2009, 1:02pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/5.6, ISO Equiv.: 100

A close-up shot of a gigantic wood fungi. It was pretty difficult taking pictures while trekking along the forest. Initially, I was moving at a moderate pace scanning the forest floor for some nature goodies. After one hour of trekking, I decided to keep my camera.

Title: Walk This WAY
Location: Maxwell Trail, Fraser's Hill, Pahang, Malaysia
Date: 24 July 2009, 1:23pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/3.5, ISO Equiv.: 360

I was the only person trekking Maxwell trail on that day. I LOVE the jungle sounds....call of wild monkeys, occasional sound of wind blowing at the canopy-like trees and also mating songs from insects.

There were loads of leeches on this carpet of fallen leaves.

Title: Dark
Location: Maxwell Trail, Fraser's Hill, Pahang, Malaysia
Date: 24 July 2009, 12:26pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/3.5, ISO Equiv.: 200

It was quite dark in the forest. Nonetheless, you can find your way easily because there are numerous signboards. I was trekking alone for both Pine Tree and Maxwell trails. It can be scary at times especially when it started to rain. I still remember my agony finishing the last 1.5 km of Pine Tree trail...when it started to rain. The surrounding turned misty, wet, slippery and dark....very spooky.

Title: Hang on to the ROPES!
Location: Maxwell Trail, Fraser's Hill, Pahang, Malaysia
Date: 24 July 2009, 12:43pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/3.5, ISO Equiv.: 280

Both Maxwell and Pine Tree forest trails are narrow. At certain stretch, you'll bumped into these ropes. You may wanna hold on tightly to these ropes while navigating your steps. I have to say Maxwell trail is fairly easy. I explored the entire trek without relying on these ropes.

Title: Look MA! I can reach the SKY :)
Location: Maxwell Trail, Fraser's Hill, Pahang, Malaysia
Date: 24 July 2009, 12:58pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/8.0, ISO Equiv.: 100

After trekking for nearly one and a half hour, the trail leads to an opened surrounding with bright and sunny sky.

Title: Abandoned Corona Nursery
Location: Maxwell Trail, Fraser's Hill, Pahang, Malaysia
Date: 24 July 2009, 1:40pm
Camera: Nikon D60 with Aperture: f/6.3, ISO Equiv.: 100

This picture was taken at the end of the trail. The dilapidated building once housed corona nursery. There is a Tamil school next to this building. I decided to trek back to the starting point since I parked my car at the side entrance (near Muar Cottage). Interestingly, trekking back was way easier.


It was a spontaneous decision - driving for two hours long to Fraser's Hill and spent another three hours to trek Maxwell trail. I really love forest trekking. There are eight forest trails in Fraser's Hill. So far, I've conquered both Pine Tree and Maxwell Trail. Jungle trekking in Fraser's Hill is the BEST! Along the way, you'll encounter amazing and authentic lush greenery. In addition, you won't get lost in these trails because there are lots of signboards in the jungle.

I'll trek again to Pine Tree trail (the most challenging trek). But, I'll have a trek buddy next time. Avoid any attempt to conquer Pine Tree trail alone.


This is my timing for Maxwell Trail:

Start journey: 9:00 a.m. from Kuala Lumpur
Arriving at the Gap or Guide House: 11:10 a.m.
Start trekking at: 12 p.m.
Mini Entrance to Corona Nursery Exit: 1 hour 40 minutes (reach Corona exit at 1:40pm)
Corona Nursery back to Mini entrance: Start time was 1:50 p.m. (reached back starting point at 3:00pm)
Total time spent: 3 hours

Maxwell Trail, Fraser's Hill - Getting There:

Car

The journey takes approximately two hours from KL and is only accessible by road. Take the North-South Highway towards north, take the Rawang exit from the highway and drive further north to Kuala Kubu Bahru (KKB) and up to Fraser's Hill.

From KKB take the easterly road past the police station all the way along the winding roads to the Gap rest house. There is a one way up and one way down road system now at Fraser's Hill.

Bus

All public transportation to Fraser's Hill has been suspended since 1st January 2008. To get to Fraser's Hill, take the KTM Komuter from KL Sentral Station all the way to Kuala Kubu Baru station and from there catch a taxi (not really a taxi but normally they are private owners who want to make a few Ringgit pocket money) all the way to Frasers. The fare is between RM50 - RM70 per way.

For the komuter KTM schedule, please go to: www.ktmb.com.my . From KL Sentral (timetable Seremban - Rawang route) take the komuter to Rawang and then change trains at Rawang station for Kuala Kubu Bahru (timetable = Rawang - KKB)

Taxi

From Kuala Lumpur to Fraser's Hill the estimated fare is from RM160 to RM180 per way per taxi.

7 Days Weather Forecast for Fraser's Hill:

Check the weather outlook in Fraser's Hill before you plan your trekking trip. Click this link to Malaysia Meteorologial Department:

http://www.met.gov.my/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=696&Itemid=905

More info:

a) http://www.journeymalaysia.com/MH_fraser.htm
b) http://www.nature-escapes-kuala-lumpur.com/Frasers-Hill.html

Download Fraser's Hill Comprehensive Map:

Excellent details about the location of 8 trekking trails and places of interests in Fraser's Hill, Pahang.

http://rapidshare.com/files/221248971/MAP_FULL_1.gif

Fraser's Hill - YouTube Video (About Birding)


I'm no fan of birding but this this is a nice video.
Video courtesy of Jetwing.

5 comments

  1. Roger Says:
  2. Enjoyed reading about your treks. I must try too but the problem is it takes hours to reach Fraser's and Maxwell Hill from Singapore. Been to these places but never to trek. Only trekked in Cameron and Taman Negara. Thanks for the detailed info. Very useful.

     
  3. Anonymous Says:
  4. Did you see any unusual birds?

     
  5. I like the pic of the strange fruit...

    btw, no pics of leeches?

     
  6. xplorer Says:
  7. i had been to fraser hill but i honestly i could feel that the place had been overrated and not well maintained.I feel that alot of things need to be done in fraser hill , no use of promoting that place like crazy and when you actually got there , there was virtually nothing

     
  8. shloke Says:
  9. @Roger,

    Thank you again!

    Perhaps you can stay two to three days in Malaysia to explore these places. Pine Tree trail in Fraser's Hill is one of the toughest jungle trek in Malaysia.

    Glad I can put some useful infos.

    @1ondoncalling,

    Seen some odd looking birds during my last jungle trek in Pine Tree Trail. It was quite misty and dark that time (after a light downpour). I saw strange looking birds' hopping' along the trails...'friendly' creatures :)

    Check out these awesome birdie shots taken at Fraser's Hill. Here's the link:
    http://www.photomalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?s=780f17916fbc098fe2fc68555507114b&t=17321

    @Ihsan Khairir,

    Hi! Welcome to my photo blog.

    Nope...no pics of leeches. I ignored those in the forest and disposed those blood suckers on my body.

    @xplorer,

    I have to agree with you about the external features of Fraser's Hill. There's nothing much to see in Fraser's Hill. The place is a bit mundane. I only go to Fraser's Hill purely for jungle trekking. Fraser's Hill has AWESOME JUNGLE!!! Also, the place is a MUST-SEE for birds lovers.

    Cheers to all!
    mylo

     
Related Posts with Thumbnails












My Photo
shloke
Traveling & photography are the most rewarding & enriching experiences in my life. Photography is all about discovery, enjoying myself, having adventure, learning people & nature. The greatest experience for me is the connection I felt with NATURE. If you haven’t seen Malaysia, you haven’t seen the world! My photography works are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported.
View my complete profile


mylo's twitter

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter